Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Hotels and Sambodrome tickets for Carnival in Rio?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 06:10 AM
Alda

I'm planning to go to the Carnival in Rio with my two children (aged 10 and 8). I speak portuguese, but my kids only speak English. <BR><BR>I would like to find out about hotel prices in Rio (1 adult + 2 children)for 5 nights.<BR><BR>What are the best places to go with kids? How much should I expect to pay to see the Parade and where can I get tickets?<BR><BR>Any advice would be welcome.<BR><BR>Cumprimentos.<BR><BR>Alda<BR>~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~<BR>

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Dean Moull

I'm sure there are locals reading this that will provide better information but I found the following site very useful in planning my trip. As with all 'agencies' costs can usually be reduced through a little inside information. However, this site is very good and will provide a good basic information.<BR><BR>Regards<BR><BR>Dean<BR><BR>www.ipanema.com

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Surlok

Alda,<BR><BR>The tickets are being sold ( at least, this was the info I found on the Brazilian papers) by Unibanco, a Brazilian private bank. The cheapest tickets cost from 4 to 8 American Dollars.<BR><BR>I consider Ipanema the best neighborhood for a family visiting Rio. There are many apart hotels, but the rates vary. I would say from 80 to 200 dollars per night, not including breakfast. You could book a triple room at a hotel, too, but I think an apart, with a bedroom and living room, plus a small kitchinette would be more suitable, and not necessarily more expensive.<BR><BR>If you need more specific info, or apart hotel recommendations, e-mail me. The above address is real.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Surlok

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 11:26 PM
dk

I'd like to first thank Surlok for all of his help from in-country. Dear Alda: I've written to some hotels in Copacabana about the room rates during Carnaval. They all tend to have 4 or 5 night packages, at double the normal hi-season prices. You'll need to reserve a room with a visa, m/c or am/ex. It will have to all be paid before you arrive for Carnaval and there is no refunds for cancellations. As Surlok mentioned, Apart-hotels may be much more reasonably priced. I think most have maid service and some amenities like a regular hotel. I've read that the apartments can be very nice and comfortable. If you choose to go the hotel route and don't want to reserve the room directly from the hotel itself then I would suggest that you try the website ipanema.com. The prices are competitive with, if not comparative with the direct hotel package prices. In my correspondences with ipanema.com, they seem very pleasant. If you wish to buy Sambodrome Parade tickets through a travel agency then I believe that the price is around $200 American p/p for the numbered seat, tourist section. They also have unnumbered seat sections, bleacher seats and others which are cheaper, but since this will be my first Carnaval also,<BR>I cannot relate how comfortable they are.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Surlok

Apart hotels, most of them, have daily maid service, and also a cafeteria, shall you wish to have breakfast at the hotel. Some do have pools, and even a small gym.<BR><BR>I wouldn't consider staying at an apartment, if I were Alda, since looks like it will be just her and two children. One never knows how safe an apartment would be. Besides, by staying at an apart hotel or residence service, there's always the concierge, that can set up a taxi for you, or the bus boy that can get you some snacks,soda, or medicine, shall you need some ( one never knows..), the maintenance service, if, for example, the toillet is not flushing righteously. ;-)<BR><BR>I lived for two years at the Claridge, in Leblon, and I loved it. The service is courteos, the mantenance, efficient. There's a 24/7 days supermarket downstairs, many restaurants, neswtands, and drugstores nearby, and it's about 800 meters from Ipanema. From the roof top pool, although the building is not beach front,there's a bit of a sea view. I'm not sure of the rates during high season, but by now it's about 80 American dollars for 1 bedroom, 1 living/dining room ( with a sofa bed), a kitchen, a bathroom, and a balcony.<BR><BR>You can browse The Claridge pictures at:<BR><BR>http://www.promenade.com.br/aparthoteis/claridge.cfm<BR><BR>Once on the web page, click on "mais fotos" on the left.<BR><BR>Shall you want to check the rates directly with the hotel, the fax number is:<BR><BR>55-21 2511-2692 (country and city code are included)<BR><BR>Otherwise, check Ipanema.com rates for The Claridge and some more residence services.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Surlok