Hotel SOUTH of San Jose/Car rental

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel SOUTH of San Jose/Car rental

We're flying into San Jose in the eve. Will rent car and leave next am for San Gerardo.
Seems like it would be ideal to stay in hotel when we arrive that is on the south side of San Jose -- making it easier to drive out next am. Even more ideal would be ability to have rental car delivered to that hotel or rentable at the hotel. Does anyone have such a place to recommend?
OR - if we stayed in Alajuela or Heredia do we need to cross San Jose to get to Route 2 to San Gerardo? Just trying to arrange easy exist and avoid driving in or across SJ. Thanks!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Hello Glover!
I have been pouring over my maps, but I don't see a way for you to avoid travel through San Jose toward Route 2 with San Gerardo as your destination!
My suggestion would be to take a taxi to one of the hotels in San Jose where you can have a car delivered--I would recommend the Hotel Don Carlos. The tour director, Juan Carlos, or any of the front desk people could give you directions for getting out of the city and on your way. At least you wouldn't have to worry about having to drive TO the hotel. The transfer would cost you about $12. Tricolor rental delivers to the hotel, I believe. Their rates are as low as any you will find.
We have driven out of the city a couple of times in the direction you want to go and have had no problems. The highway you need is on the east side of town and the airport is on the west! I believe you will need to continue east on out of the city and then head south.
You can drive south from the airport, but I am not familiar with hotels down in that area where cars can be delivered (although there may be some). Even so, the highways south of the airport tend to head off toward the Pacific coast. It does look like you could meander over east to Route 2, but I don't think the going would be easy, and it looks like there would be a section of unpaved road. Certainly not your most direct route. If you picked your car up at the airport, you could drive south avoiding San Jose very easily--there are some nice towns in that area, but it just doesn't look inviting to head east from there.
I wish I could be of more help. Perhaps you will hear from someone who can tell you exactly what you are hoping to hear! Good luck and safe travels!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Shillmac - I've already received a very reasonable quote from Tricolor as it happens (though I'm a bit apprehensive about that dent thing)
Don Carlos looks like our kind of place too. Will definitely consider. Wondering about Le Bergerac as well - it's close to Route 2 and they've got an associated travel agency. They might bring a car round perhaps.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 01:54 PM

Great! You will be able to work out everything with no problems, I am sure! Have a great time! Are you climbing Chirripo?
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

I doubt we'll climb Chirripo. It's a 2-day deal right? Have you done it? We're in pretty decent shape for 50 somethings and like hiking -- but we're not backpackers/hard core. Sounded like it might be beyond us.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 04:28 PM

Glover,
I had to laugh! No we haven't done it. . .but I would like to. We are fifties also and I'm afraid (since, like you, we are not avid hikers) that it might be a bit beyond us as well! Darn, old age! We enjoy hiking, and have done quite a bit of it, but wouldn't it be great have Chirripo to brag about?