Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   HOTEL SI COMO NO, Manuel Antonio: Which rooms to choose? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hotel-si-como-no-manuel-antonio-which-rooms-to-choose-493614/)

Melissa5 Jan 8th, 2005 01:29 AM

HOTEL SI COMO NO, Manuel Antonio: Which rooms to choose?

I want to book 2 rooms for our family of 5 at the Hotel Si Como No in Manuel Antonio (for June). There are so many different levels! If you've stayed there can you advise me? I'd like rooms with a nice view, but not necessarily the most expensive ones. But I don't want to be on the road or anything, we want to feel like we're in the jungle of Costa Rica.

There are standard, superior, and deluxe rooms, there are suites (deluxe suites?), and some even more expensive like honeymoon suites. Some have a "jungle view", some have a "jungle and ocean view from balcony", and some have a "panoramic jungle and ocean view". The bigger rooms include sofas.

Which rooms would be best for nice quiet rooms (meaning off the road, not overlooking pools), with pleasing views?

Thanks!

Thanks!

faithie Jan 8th, 2005 07:53 AM

We looked at a standard room when we were there in November , we loved the grounds and the kids loved the little slide in the pool so we asked to see the standard (jungle view ) . We were not terribly impressed with the room at all ( rather sterile and plain ) , especially for the diff. in price between our room at Costa Verde and also Villas Nicolas . The pretty grounds and slide did not suffice paying the diff. The rooms at Villas Nicolas ( IMHO )have a lot more charm and character , and the pool area is SWEET ! It is just next door to Si Como No . Again , just my opinion , others will say differently perhaps . Faith

CaliNurse Jan 8th, 2005 09:15 AM

Check Fodors Hotel Rants and Raves from the main site. You'll find recs for specific rooms-- #22 and #38? My kids, to best of recollection, said their room was #54, and had a spectacular view. But they said it seemed all the rooms had good views!
If you email [email protected], and describe what you want, they'll probably be able to reserve it. One person there, named Jairo, was quite helpful.
Author of the CR Moon Handbook starts his description "I love SCN" then describes the rooms, and which he prefers (the newer deluxe units) It's on p. 500 of the current edition. Also see CR Frommers Book description of SCN, or check it via link at tripadvisor.com. And, if you haven't already, see some of the reader reviews there, so you'll have more idea of what to expect.
Hope some of this helps.I t's hard to be sure of your decision from so far away, but I'll bet you'll all have a super time there!!!

Melissa5 Jan 8th, 2005 11:22 AM

Thank you for the tips. I've decided to book rooms at the Hotel Si Como No partly because of their commendable ecological vision. (My husband is a biologist so I know that when many hotels get built, the natural environment is simply torn out.) This hotel was developed with minimal impact to the environment and practices conservation. PLUS IT LOOKS LIKE A WHOLE LOT OF FUN!

I do want to make sure we get nice rooms though, so any input is appreciated.

If you're curious about the ecological vision of the Hotel Si Como No read about it on their web-site www.sicomono.com

JeanH Jan 8th, 2005 04:35 PM

I would choose at least a superior room. I can't remember the number of the room we stayed in, but it was above another. Our views were awesome, I wouldn't think the one below it would have been as nice. We were about as far from the road as we could be. Which meant a steep uphill walk to the restaurant and pools. Not a problem for us, but might be for some.

We really enjoyed our stay there. Nice people, nice restaurant, great views. I'd like to go back. Jean

Melissa5 Jan 9th, 2005 12:00 AM

JeanH, thanks for the helpful info on Hotel Si Como No.

TurtleWoman Jan 9th, 2005 09:10 PM

We spent 3 nights there last Nov. We upgraded from a superior to a deluxe room. It was huge with a full kitchen. Our only complaint was the VERY HARD mattress. That would keep us from going back. But everything else was great. Ask for directions to Manny's Place for good food and a spectacular view at sunset.