Hotel Recommendations in Tulum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2009, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a couple in our early 30s looking to get away for 4 nights in April. We'd love your recommendations for cabanas on the beach in Tulum. We basically want a nice beach for swimming and that we can go for walks on, and maybe air conditioning or a ceiling fan since April is pretty hot. It would also be good to be within walking distance or a short taxi or bike ride to restaurants. We mostly want to relax and want to spend $150 or less per night.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:11 AM

All the hotels on the beach near Tulum are on generators and will only have electricity for a few hours a day. If you need AC 24/7, I'm not sure Tulum is for you. That said, there is also usually a pretty stiff breeze right on the beach so many people don't feel the need anyway. Just something to keep in mind.
The beaches in Tulum are absolutely georgeous and you can walk for miles.
If you're looking for someplace similar but with 24 hour power, how about Akumal or Xpu Ha beach. Some nice properties along those beaches but not quite as rustic.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. I think AC or a ceiling fan at night would be nice, but is not a requirement. We are definitely used to rustic. We usually take camping vacations (though not usually in hot weather). We've checked the average temps on weather.com for April and just do not want to be so misearbly hot at night that we can't sleep.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:06 AM

From what I understand there is a fairly constant breeze, so if you get a cabana on the beach it will be cooled by the breeze....We were just there & in my research, a lot have fans now & quite a few 24 hour electricity. There are SOOO many sweet places to choose from.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:38 AM

We were in Tulum late March last year - no need for AC or ceiling fan - although I believe our room had one. We stayed at Zulum (www.zulumhotels.com). We really enjoyed our stay here but as the other poster pointed out - there are several wonderful places to stay. You might try www.tulum.info it has an active forum. I know a couple of places they seem to like alot are Tierras del Sol, La Luna and Nueva Vida.

I believe Los Lirios and Ana y Jose's both have AC.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 07:45 AM

we stayed at zulum as well, but there are many sweet spots.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:37 AM

The beach road is lined with dozens of small cabana hotels. Only a handful offer 24/7 electricity. Los Lirios is one of them, and is quite nice. We stayed there about a year ago. The rooms are very spacious and clean, and the beach is a 10. Tierras del Sol is just down the road (we stayed there 2 years ago) and is a bit more primative with small, bamboo walled cabanas. As others have mentioned, Tulum is usually quite breezy at night and ac is probably not necessary in April. As for getting into town, most of these places are about 10 minutes to town by car, and taxis are readily available. Seriously consider renting a car - there's a lot to explore in the Tulum area.