Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Hotel recommendation for one or two nights in cancun before tulum

Aug 10th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I will be traveling with our children ages 3 and 5 to tulum for two weeks. We have done this before and regretted not going to costco to load up on groceries in cancun first. It's a long travel day for our little ones so we are thinking it would be a good idea to stay for one night or maybe even two in cancun. We are looking for a hotel that won't take us to far off the beaten path from costco. We do not need to be beachfront as we will get plenty of beach time in tulum. A hotel with a nice pool, even some kind of little water park for the kids would be a bonus. If we found something with lots of fun things for the kids we may even stay for two nights. We are gluten free so if anyone has a lead on a hotel with a restaurant that will accommodate that would be awesome. We would like to stay under $250.00 per night.
Aug 11th, 2015, 12:24 PM

Are you renting a car or taking a private transfer? You can stop in Playa del Carmen en route, they have a Sam's Club, Walmart, MEGA, and Soriana among others. If taking a transfer, most will make a one hour stop for shopping for about $30 (USA Transfers). You do have to arrange it ahead of time.
There are also a couple of grocery stores in Tulum, there is the San Francisco right on the corner of Highway 307 at the first stoplight at the entrance to Tulum pueblo and also a newer Chedraui about halfway along the road to the beach hotel zone. I have been in both, and both also have bank owned ATMs if you need money.
Aug 11th, 2015, 12:42 PM

I'm no expert on that side of Mexico(!) but I also was wondering if Playa del Carmen might work more smoothly than Cancun for what you propose.
Aug 11th, 2015, 12:44 PM

I really liked the Fiesta Americana Coral Beach in Cancun. It has a nice pool and their beach area doesn't have the roughness of most of those hotels in the Hotel Zone because it's at the top end of the peninsula, so protected by that inlet. They have really good restaurants, also, I think, at least the breakfast is great.

It's not really that far from Costco and you don't have to drive all the way down the peninsula, it's really only about five miles probably along bd Kukulcan. And you could stop in Costco before driving down as it's right off rte 307 as you know, I guess.

I don't know about water parks, I didn't think they had those for hotels, just those big resort AIs, but I may just be out of it on that mark.

You don't say when you are going, so hard to say about the rates, as they vary so much based on dates. YOu can get it for that rate during some times, you get a 20 pct discount often booking online.
http://www.fiestamericanagrand.com/e...nd-coral-beach
Aug 11th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

We are going in February and we will be renting a car. Our flight gets in at 4:00 pm. Last time we flew into cancun it took one and a half hours to get through customs. Then another hour before we left with our rental car. By the time we got to tulum it was almost 9:00. We have been to sams club, chedraui, Walmart in playa del Carmen. We just thought that it might make our trip less stressful to just stay put in cancun for a night. Please tell me if I am wrong though. We have never been in the heart of cancun. We headed for tulum last time and didn't venture into cancun at all. Also we had high expectations that costco might have more of our staples than other stores mentioned above. We were hoping it might be easier to stock up on gluten free groceries at costco. Perhaps I'm expecting a more Americanized costco than what I will find in cancun?