Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Hotel Plaza Francia in Buenos Aires? Has anyone stayed there lately? Can't make up my mind whether to stay there or at the Chateaux Kempinski

Hotel Plaza Francia in Buenos Aires? Has anyone stayed there lately? Can't make up my mind whether to stay there or at the Chateaux Kempinski

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 08:27 AM
maletas

I could save 100. bucks over the week that Ill be in Buenos Aires if I stay at the Plaza Francia but I cant seem to find any recent reviews of the place. Both are in La Recoleta area which is where I want to be. Any comments?

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rent an apartment in Buenos Aires that is about 5 blocks from Plaza Francia. It is on a very busy street, so unless you are on a high floor noise could be a problem...I have never stayed there, but I have been in and by the hotel a number of times. It was under renovation last time I was there. Rooms were serviceable, but nothing special...find out about air conditioning if you are going soon! Location is great, just a couple of blocks from Recoleta cemetary and restaurant row....Kempenksi is quieter, and the rooms are probably nicer...the lobby certainly is!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 12:32 PM

I was there in September last year and stayed at the Park Plaza Kempinski. It is on a very quiet chic street in La Recoleta. The hotel is nice. Some friends traveling with us stayed at the Chateaux and the rooms are nicer at the Park Plaza.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:20 PM
maletas

How much nicer are the rooms? Is it really worth the extra $$$$? I could get a great deal at the PArk Elegance but I guess the reason being is that the area that its in isnt as nice.
Now would you say that Chateau is still very pleasant? What is it about Park Plaza that makes it so much more desireable? Is it just the rooms?

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 01:03 AM

Location, Location, Location. The Park Plaza is on one of the nicest streets in Recoleta...the Chateau is on a quiet street, though still in Recoleta. The Elegance is on a busy street just outside of Recoleta. The Park Plaza is crearly the crown jewel of the Kempinski hotels in Buenos Aires.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 03:18 AM
maletas

Thank you very much! Well now it turns out that my partner wants to stay in Palermo Viejo, near Plaza Italia at the Cristoforo Colombo suites. We have friends who live in the vicinity who invited us to stay at their lovely place but they have no ac and we are going in February. I really wanted something elegant, with a pool, in Recoleta and none of the Kempinskis have one. The Cristoforo seems ok but not elegant. I'll cope and we will save $300. over the entire week that we will be there. We stayed in the area 4 years ago with our friends and liked the neighborhood.
Thanks for your help, drdawaggy. The choices on where to stay are overwealming.

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 03:22 PM

I know the area in which you will be staying. I like it alot! Less touristy, more like life as a resident of Buenos Aires....some great restaurants on the other side of Santa Fe....enjoy your stay...oh, the hotel where you are staying has a pool..not swanky, but a pool
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:25 AM
maletas

Gracias de nuevo, drdawggy. I like the area too. I'm not expecting too much from the Hotel as far as luxury. Initially, I looked into all the Kempinski hotels and the Chateau looked very nice but it would have cost twice as much as what we are going to pay at the Cristoforo. The pool will be refreshing after a days adventure in BA.
We did get a great rate and from the web site the place looks fine. I have another trip planned this spring, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to economize a little here and there.
I'm looking forward to the great restaurants. I remember how wonderful the service was and how good the food was too. Coffee is important to me and they make it so good down there. Just like in Spain and Italy.

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 08:06 AM

Maletas, please let me know how you like your hotel; I'm going in March and have also considered the Kempinskis; also, can you tell me the website for the Cristoforo Colombo? Thanks
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:50 AM
maletas

Its www.torrecc.com.ar
Actually, we arent staying at the Kempinski now. Its probably a nice place but it doesnt meet all the requirements for me. I need a pool especially with what the weather is like in BA in February. Also, we want to be near where our friends live so we are settling for the Cristoforo.
Good luck

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 11:27 AM

One restaurant recommendation...El Obrero has delicious food for lunch. I had lunch there...steak, potatoes, soup, salad, wine and beer for only 20 pesos per person. It is located in La Boca. Also las Canitas is fabulous, it is one of the city upscale restaurants in Puerto Madero...enjoy.