Hotel Ojala in Drake bay or Jinetes de Osa?

Jul 26th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Ojala in Drake bay or Jinetes de Osa?

Hello. I am going for three nights in december to the osa peninsula. Trying to pick a hotel. Would love to stay at La Paloma but its too expensive. Want to stay somewhere where there will be lovely ground with wildlife, privacy, electricity, hot water and a lovelt beach to chill at and swim. We want to do a tour of corcovado and a scuba trip to Cano and the rest of the time just sort of relax on a beach, swim a bit and hang on a porch or something. I looked at Hotel Ojala, but cant find much on it. I would stay at the private cabin. Anyone know this place? Also looked at Jinetes de Osa, poor mans paradise and cabinas las caletas. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks so much!
Jul 26th, 2010, 06:14 AM

As far as I know the Drake Bay beaches are mostly rocky. It sounds like you are looking for something where you can have a swimmable beachfront from your hotel and I just think you goiing to find that in Drake Bay, althought Cabines las Caletas may be your best bet. If you only go for 3 nights and hike Corcovado and snorkel Cano Island there won't be a ton of time for beach anyway. I like Drake Bay Wilderness Resort because it's right on the beach and also has a pool. Once you add in tour costs and transfer prices of the others mentioned and take advantage of the cash discount it's not much more. Have you ruled out Matapalo as suggested in another thread?
Jul 26th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

No hvent ruled it out but it looks super far. I have to be able to get back from OSA to San Jose in one day by car or bus. Is that possible from matapalo? I know it's not the beach holiday type of pose but somewhere we could take a dip to cool off at the end of a day of hiking seems possible. It's not about the beach but seemed like there were some nice ones there that you can walk on and take a dip. Just want a nice room with some privacy to relax in and a nice area to enjoy when not on tours. I think I wil like the area just want to find the right lodge.
Jul 30th, 2010, 09:00 AM

I also recommend drakebay wilderness resort. It isn't super cheap, but it sounds like what you are looking for and it is not as expensive as la paloma.

If you really want to know what's available you can check out this map view of drake bat. I usually use it to find out what's in different areas of costa rica:
http://www.costaricabeauty.com/ViewM...3.674113&BID=1
It shows inexpensive but good quality hotels nearby if you search within 15 miles. Some of them even less expensive and have better beaches than drake bay wilderness resort.

One of the affordable hotels with a great beach near drake bay is:
http://www.costaricabeauty.com/ViewP...orcovado-Lodge
Jul 30th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

I looked at drake bay wilderness resort and it looks like its just on the rocks. Not on a beach. Am I missing something? Jinetes de Osa looks like its on a beach, but they said its not the best because its not very clear from the river run off but a ten minute walk is a nice beach. Thats fine for me. Just want somewhere nice, quiet and relaxing. Somewhere we can hang out and take little walks and go for a swim. Why do you like drake bay wilderness better the jinetes de osa?
Jul 31st, 2010, 09:56 AM

I prefer drakebay for a couple reasons. Drake bay wilderness is closer to "cocolito beach" which is a little beach about a 5 minute walk away from drake bay wilderness resort. It has amazing waves for swimming, surfing, and and amazing sunsets. Here's a picture of the sunset on that beach:
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...full-place.jpg

Also, another reason I prefer drake over jinetes:
Here's a picture of the view from jinetes:
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...m-our-room.jpg
Like I mentioned, its "at the beach", but it's a little behind the brush. Whichever place you stay, you have to walk a little bit to be on a nice beach.

I like drakebay for the view when you wake up. Here is the view from a cabin at drake. You wake up right on the open ocean. The sunrise comes over the mountains in the morning. Here's a picture of what you see when you walk out of your room:
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...-bay-views.jpg