Search

Hotel Mexico City 1st of 5 nights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Mexico City 1st of 5 nights

Hola:
First, big thanks to all who helped me hone my plans in my other post. I need to find a hotel for one night before moving to the Condessa for 4-5 nights. I arrive the DF on Fri afternoon. I was looking the Gran hotel in Centro (with the fabulous ceiling) or Principado in Zona Rosa. Or should I stay in Condessa? Wondering which area/hotel makes sense for this one night. Wondering if I should stay in Centro and explore that area that afternoon -or maybe get a city overview upon arrival on a hoponoff bus? I'll be in the DF 4-5 days-so Centro exploration could also be a full day later in my week.
I'm happy to walk around at night, but I'm solo so won't be frequenting the nighttime bar, club, restaurant scene. Looking for a good first night spot to get my bearings. I figure on Sat I'll want to do Sat only things - like San Angel market - and then add what makes sense in terms of proximity. I think that's Coyaocan and La Casa Azul. At some point -maybe early am Sat I'll need to move my bags to the B&B.
Gracias
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 06:24 AM

I love staying in the centro historico. I usually stay right off the zocalo. Gran hotel looks very nice. You could see the Diego Rivera murals at the palace on the zocalo, and step inside the cathedral and see temple mayor on fri. and have a nice dinner in the area.

My vote goes to staying on the zocalo the 1st night.

Don't miss out on getting to La Cuidadela. Best one stop shopping for great quality and prices on every kind of Mexican handicraft in the entire country, IMO.

This is going to be one very nice trip.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks-I'm so grateful for the advice. Zocola it is. Lots of hotel options there so if the Gran doesn't work out I'm sure I'll find another.

And thanks for fab shopping tip! I thought I'd pack lightly-take a sm/medium rolling bag. I might have to seriously re-think that plan. Good thing I saved that bubble wrap!
Gracias
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 01:09 PM

I always stay in a Zocalo side room at the Majestic, a Best Western franchise but very Mexican.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Stewbear. I like old and traditional-the Majestic looks majestic to me! TA site shows them booked, but I sent an inquiry to the hotel directly. We'll see. Gran is a little high-of course not compared to US rates.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 11:02 AM

We stayed in the Gran Hotel last spring for eight nights before heading to Oaxaca, and then for a single night on our way back home. I love this hotel! Service is amazing, location can't be beat, and the rooms are lovely - reproduction antiques, luxury bathrooms, and comfy beds.

As I recall, if you can book ahead online, the price is better.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 05:18 AM

The National Pawn Shop is right by the Gran on the Zocalo, under the portales. Take a stroll in the Natl Pawn Shop. There are also some nice shops in that building on 1st floor.