Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Hotel in Valladolid, Mexico? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hotel-in-valladolid-mexico-387970/)

marybethcl Jan 16th, 2004 06:03 AM

Hotel in Valladolid, Mexico?

I am going to stay in Valladolid, Mexico, for 2 nights in February. Trying to decide on a hotel. I don't need luxury, but I do want a room and bath that are clean, safe and reasonably comfortable. I am usually fine with 1-star hotels and hostals. Has anyone stayed recently at either Hotel Meson del Marques or (especially)the Hotel Maria de la Luz? I find good review for the Meson del Marques, but "mixed" feedback about Maria de la Luz. I would like to save a few $ by staying at the Maria de la Luz, and I'd appreciate any feedback on this hotel and/or the Meson del Marques. Thanks.

RobertSDF Jan 16th, 2004 06:18 AM

I would recommend the Hotel Zaci. I much prefer it to the 2 mentioned and the price is better. (about 300 pesos) It is about a block off the Zocalo, has a pool, cable TV and a restaurant. Very nice hotel!

SusanInToronto Jan 16th, 2004 06:23 AM

Wow, the Zaci is where we stayed, several years ago. It was a terrific deal.

marybethcl Jan 16th, 2004 10:21 AM

Can you tell me a little more about the Zaci? Why is it better than the two mentioned?

RobertSDF Jan 17th, 2004 05:34 AM

My information on the Meson de Marques would be dated but much prefer the room quality and the nice, well maintained grounds at the Zaci over the Maria de la Luz. Also, the Maria tends to get any group business, the Zaci gets almost strictly individual business and is a very quiet place.
Hope this helps!

beachgirl Jan 21st, 2004 01:09 PM

My husband and I were just in Valladolid over Christmas and we stayed at the Meson del Marques. We absolutely loved it. Our room was great and always clean, the grounds were gorgeous and the staff was incredibly attentive and kind. The restaurant there is also one of the best in town and we enjoyed many meals. A complimentary continental breakfast was included in the price of our room. The hotel is so pretty--every time we came downstairs from our room there was someone walking around with a video camera filming the grounds. If you are comfortable in one star hotels, this will be total luxury for you at a fabulous price!!!

rquirk Jan 22nd, 2004 03:45 AM

I stayed at Hotel Zaci. Basically I can't see how you can quibble with a large air-conditioned room and swimup pool bar for US$8/night. If you turn right out of the front door and right again you'll be at the bus terminal for Chitchen Itza. I can't remember if it had parking and it had a quiet off-licence opposite which may attract one or two hoboes.

alvarado May 23rd, 2004 01:20 PM

Does anyone have an E-Mail address for the Hotel Zaci? Thanks.

RobertSDF May 24th, 2004 05:42 AM

I stay at the Zaci often--just returned last week. I highly recommend it but the price is about $28 US not $8 US. It is still one of the best buys in town!

SusanInToronto May 24th, 2004 09:30 AM

I was a little surprised at the $8 also! We stayed at the Zaci several years ago and it was a good deal (but more than $8!).

RobertSDF May 29th, 2004 08:20 AM

Regarding Alvarado's asking about e-mail for the Zaci, I am almost certain they have no e-mail--or computer! If you speak spanish, I might find a phone number for you. (they speak limited english) You won't need a reservation unless you arrive very late--they will have a room.