hotel in or near San Jose

Sep 30th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

hotel in or near San Jose

what hotels do you recomend in or near san jose for a night or two. and do you recomend any activities to do basing out of San Jose?
Sep 30th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

anybody stayed at

1. Hotel Palma Real
2. Occidental Torremolinos
3. Melia Cariari
4. Tryp Corobici Hotel
5. Best Western Irazu
6. Hampton Inn San Jose Cr
7. Hampton Inn and Suites San Jose Airport
8. Tara Resort Hotel Spa
Sep 30th, 2003, 01:46 PM

While there's nothing wrong with the lodgings you list, my favorite place near San Jose is Villa Escazu, in the western suburb of Escazu. It's a smaller B&B in a Swiss chalet-style building, owned by a charming woman from New York who has lived in Costa Rica for several years. Her breakfasts are out of this world.

All the contact info and more description are at the website:

http://www.hotels.co.cr/vescazu.html

Near San Jose are the Coffee Tour of Cafe Britt, the Poas Volcano, the Rain Forest Aerial Tram, the artisan town of Sarchi, the Butterfly Garden or the Orosi Valley. All can be done in a day or half-day.
Sep 30th, 2003, 06:24 PM

Do you know anything about a hotel in Guanacaste called The Sanctuary ?
Also are flights frequent between
San Jose and Liberia ?
Hoping to visit there in March 2004
and flights that we can use with NW & Co
are into and out of San Jose so need connects to Liberia.
Oct 1st, 2003, 09:00 AM

Plindberg, there are frequent flights between San Jose and Liberia on the two domestic airlines, Sansa and Nature Air. But there is talk here that Continental will begin flights directly to Liberia this winter. Keep checking back with them.
Oct 1st, 2003, 09:26 AM

I should qualify what I just posted, because I don't want to be one those people who starts rumors on the Internet, and then they get repeated so often they become gospel.

It's talk about Continental at this stage. Whether it will come to pass is anybody's guess. Delta's flights to Guanacaste have been very successful. American will begin service there in December. So that could be the source of the speculation about Continental, that they are exploring the idea of offering flights too.
Oct 1st, 2003, 09:29 AM

Jeff
I did hear also about Co beginning SJO to LIR flights . I also found the web site for Sansa and their flts can be bkd right on their site...about $142 r.t. from Sjo to Lir..
thanks for your comments..NOW
we will need a SJO Airport hotel for nite
of 3/19 any suggestions?? And again maybe the 28th and 29th..
Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:55 AM

We are going to CR next month and while in SJ staying at Grano De Oro. Supposed to be really great
Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:47 PM

ya Ato ya, we flew into San Jose in Jan. 2003 and stayed at Hotel Buena Vista a little way outside the city.
They met us at the airport. I do mean met. We walked out and saw a sign with our names on it. The staff we had contact with were all very friendly and helpful. They took us the next day to rent a car. We also ended the trip with the last night there before flying out in the morning.
It is a peaceful setting right across from a coffee plantation. Sitting outside by the pool at night we could see the lights of the city down in the valley. The stars were about the brightest I've ever seen.
krisz