Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Hotel Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hotel-help-290751/)

kindra Feb 20th, 2003 09:05 AM

Hotel Help

Hopefully Lan can help me again....We have narrowed down our search to staying at either Banana Beach or Xanadu. I've searched the forums and have not found a comparison of the two (most replies talk about just one or the other). We like the rustic look of Xanadu, and it sounds like their bikes and golf carts are complimentary, which is nice. Banana Beach looks newer (and I think nicer). Which of these is more secluded? More personal? Better deal? Better beach? Thanks again.

LanSluder Feb 20th, 2003 01:25 PM

The two places are both excellent, but they are different. Xanadu really isn't rustic at all -- it's just kind of strange looking. &quot;Monolithic dome&quot; construction (concrete over foam) with thatch &quot;hats&quot; roofs. The units are spread out over the lot. Inside though they are very modern and nice, tastefully decorated.<BR><BR>Banana Beach is more of a traditional hotel -- regular concrete construction, three stories. The original had about 35 units, all one-bedroom suites, and the new addition roughly doubles the size, and it has more of a variety from regular rooms to four-bedroom suites (units can be put together in various configurations.) I still like the 2nd and 3rd floor corner suites in the older section; they're right on the water, with balconies. But the newer seafront units are nice, too.<BR><BR>Banana Beach has two pools, both in a court yard. Xanadu has a nice new outdoor pool. The beaches are similar. There's a seawall right at Banana Beach but a few steps away is an excellent beach, Mar de Tumbo.<BR><BR>Xanadu is closer to town, about half way between Banana Beach and the south edge of town. They are both in developed areas, so neither is secluded.<BR><BR>Both are well-managed with owners on site. I guess you would say Xanadu is more personal as it it smaller. Banana Beach has a new restaurant and bar.<BR><BR>Xanadu has raised its rates, and I still think Banana Beach is one of the best values on the island, but they are both affordable given the high quality of the accommodations. Free bikes and water equipment at Xanadu are a plus -- didn't know they included a golf cart (that's a $250 a week item).<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder<BR><BR>

kindra Feb 21st, 2003 07:45 AM

Thanks for all the info Lan! I just posted another question to you under a previous topic, so I will repeat myself here. We are leaning more toward Xanadu, but my concern is it being more family-oriented (because of larger units available here), and not so much for honeymooners. Obviously, we want somewhere romantic, not a ton of kids around. Should I look further for a more secluded hotel? We want south of town, but close enough to ride bikes/golf carts into town.

LanSluder Feb 21st, 2003 09:00 AM

Xanadu does get some kids, as do most of the hotels on the island, especially the condotels. But it's fairly small, so there shouldn't be many kids around at any one time. Would also depend on what time of year you are going. Summer and holidays there are more kids, as this is when families take vacation.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

slk230 Feb 21st, 2003 10:57 AM

Just returned from Belize and spent 6 nights at Xanadu. We loved it there. The set up makes you feel like your pretty much alone. Golf Carts are not complimentary, but bikes and kayaks are. The nice thing is that your close enough to bike or even walk to town from Xanadu. We walked in most nights to eat, maybe 20 minutes if at a casual pace. There is some construction going on at Xanadu, they're adding a couple of more &quot;thatched domes&quot;. Even with the work, we never heard anything, even if we were at the pool. We have not stayed at Banana Beach, and I'm sure it's great, but we loved Xanadu.