Reload this Page >

Hotel Gillow in Mexico City??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Sandy

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Gillow, near the Zocolo in Mexico City? A friend and I are going to MC in July and this hotel has been recommended by several guidebooks. <BR> <BR>There's nothing like first-hand, Fodorite info and I'd be appreciative of any info or any other good, safe, inexpensive (under $40) lodging suggestions. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Sandy

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 02:24 PM
marilyn

I'm not familiar with the Gillow, but I'm not sure I would recommend staying in the Zocalo area at night. Although the Zocalo is the heart of historic Mexico, the area really empties out at night. We weren't comfortable walking after dark there, and the restaurants were few and far between. I always like the Maria Christina, on Rio Lerma across Reforma from the Zona Rosa. Clean, colonial charm, very convenient neighborhood, and rooms in the $35-$50 range.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 12:50 PM
smitty

I dont know the Gillow but concurr with the recommendation of the Maria Christina. We live in MC 6 months of the year around the corner from the Maria Christina. Its a fine hotel in a great location

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Sandy

Thanks Marilyn and Smitty, <BR> <BR>We'd love to stay at the Maria Cristina but it's out of our budget range, we need something more in the $30-$40 category. <BR> <BR>We've traveled independently all over the world and quite a bit in Central/South America so we're not nervous travelers. <BR> <BR>I think we might go ahead and try the Gillow, it has been recommended by Frommer's, Fodor's, Let's Go, Rough Guide. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your advice, <BR>Sandy <BR>Sandy

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 08:06 AM
terri

Never stayed at the Hotel Gillow, but have stayed at the Hotel Catedral, which is directly behind The Cathedral on the zocalo. I believe that we paid $40 U.S. when we were there last year. Our room had a magnificent view of the dome of the church that is beautiful at night. The food in the restaurant is good too.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 12:16 PM
fred house

Just returned from a weekend in Mexico City and stayed in a lovely hotel one block from Bellas Artes theatre and six blocks from the Zocolo. The name is the "Marlowe" Its clean and lovely, about 40 a night.