Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   hotel for night before flying home (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hotel-for-night-before-flying-home-530815/)

ekellyga May 22nd, 2005 02:37 AM

hotel for night before flying home

We fly out of San Jose on the 12th at 2pm (Sunday), but need that one last night' hotel....somewhere. The night preceding that, we will be staying at the Peace Lodge. I'd like to "see one more thing", as long as it is relaxing and easy to reach the airport when we get up the next day (and not in the city). Any ideas where, what to see, and which hotel to use???
Thanks

dfarmer May 22nd, 2005 05:25 AM

EK - are you only at Peace Lodge for one night? Do you realize PL is only an hour away from SJO?

I looked back at your previous posts and was unable to decide where else you had decided to travel.

While at PL - Are you making time to visit Poas Volcano, it would be a shame to miss it since you will be so close. Also a stop in at Doka Coffee Plantation may be of interest. Also there are several daytrips offered from PL.

When we visited Peace Lodge, we stayed there our last 2 nights.

Certainly you could move, maybe drive down through Sarchi and Grecia, visiting some of the churches and shops. There was a recent discussion on this.

Or you could visit Zoo Ave and get a closer look at the birds of Costa Rica. This would only take an hour or two.

This year we stayed our 1st and last 2 nights at Orchideas Inn in Alajuela. Still about 15 mins from SJO.

Vista del Valle Plantation Inn is a wonderful place about 20 mins from SJO.

CaliNurse May 22nd, 2005 12:58 PM

My kids stayed at Xandari, about a 20 minute ride from the airport. It's a beautiful property: waterfalls, trails, coffee plantation, spectacular casita accomodation. However, the previous night they were in Guanacaste, so unlike you, they HAD to change hotels. Personally (I'm planning a trip to CR for next year) IF the room is still available, I'd go with DFarmer's advice and stay the second night in the same hotel (Peace Lodge) Just make sure to leave time for possible hassles returning your rental car, IF you have one. My kids had problems with that their last afternoon, and what should have been a relaxing afternoon (they toohad a 2 pm flight) send off turned into a big-time pain!

ekellyga May 22nd, 2005 04:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I probably didn't post it very clearly. We stay at Peace Lodge for 2 nights....the only two nights we could get, and it is near the end of the trip rather than the beginning. No problem tho. I will check out those places mentioned and probably see the coffee plantation on our last day.
EK

sarozena May 23rd, 2005 06:57 AM

Last month we spent our last night in Costa Rica at the Hotel Villa Bonita in Alajuela. It's reasonable ($47 a night/double), close to the airport (5 mins. by cab)and the hosts (Humberto and Silvia) couldn't be nicer. We visited the Butterfly Farm the afternoon before we left. It was very interesting. If you can arrange a tour with Milton (tours are included in the admission price), I guarantee you will learn a lot about butterflies!