Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Hotel El Cortez/Mexico City (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hotel-el-cortez-mexico-city-401610/)

Rugosan Feb 20th, 2004 12:58 PM

Hotel El Cortez/Mexico City

Has anyone recently stayed at this old hotel near Parque Alameda? Would you recommend it?

Years ago on a pass-through stop, my husband and I stayed at this charming hotel. We arrived very late at night, very tired, and we left early the next morning without truly experiencing the accommodations. All I remember is its charm.

I'm planning a May trip to Mexico City with my brother and his wife, their first trip to Mexico. I'd like to stay at El Cortez, but my brother has heard negative stories about hard mattresses and street noise. Are these a great problem? Thanks.

lcuy Feb 21st, 2004 01:34 PM

We were there a year ago. Found the building charming and the staff nice, but it is noisy. Between the restaraunt in the courtyard and the street noise through the bathroom window, we all used our earplugs!

The beds were twin sized and fairly stiff, and the TV only got 2 very fuzzy stations. We were also surprised in that this hotel doesn't provide bottled water. Almost all other hotels seemed to give one bottle per person each day for brushing teeth.

After spending a week in the city (2 nights at the Four Seasons were wonderful!,)we felt that the Best Western right off the Zocalo would have been a better choice for a midprice hotel in an interesting location.

marilynl Feb 21st, 2004 02:16 PM

Stayed there two years ago, lured by the stories of the lovely courtyard and the location overlooking the Alameda. Never again! There was some kind of demonstration by long distance truckers--not the hotel's fault, but the street in front of the hotel was full of huge trucks and buses, usually running! The room was not very comfortable: hard beds, bad lighting, not enough hot water, wobbly sink. I'm afraid the charm escaped me.

Actually, we used priceline for our recent stay in Mexico City, and really enjoyed the JW Marriott: gorgeous rooms, great staff, lovely lobby, very near Chapultepac Park in Polanco. It was wonderful, and worked out to be a lot less than the Cortes at the priceline rate ($79!). A dozen friends were with us, and everybody loved it. Most had not been to Mexico City before and really raved about it!

Rugosan Feb 22nd, 2004 12:06 PM

Icuy and Marilynl: Thank you for sharing your experiences. I know Parque Alameda (in addition to the Zocalo)is convenient for demonstrators to gather. You've pursuaded me to continue my search. I prefer to stay in the old part of town, so we will probably stay at one of the tried and true hotels with which I'm familiar. Thanks for your help. Rugosan

Graziella5b Feb 22nd, 2004 01:58 PM

Hi Icuy, sometime ago I took advice from this forum to mix up our stay in Mexico city, a long week end at the Four Seasons enjoying their great week end tours. with a downtown hotel..Was that you?
I only wish to tell you that we did exactly that staying downtown at the
Majestic and a long week end at the 4 seasonsand enjoy it a lot.

For those going to the Majestic be aware that rooms differ a lot one from the other, they come in all sizes and shapes.
Also today the 4 Seasons week end tours are not free anymore they charge $15 p/p . But they were worth it.
If it was you thank you very much.

lcuy Feb 24th, 2004 01:22 AM

Thanks Graziella! It's nice to know when hints help! I just loved that Four Seasons! Someone said they aren't as generous with their weekend rates and tours now, so glad you and I got them when we did!
Lucy