Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Hotel and Activities in Playe del Carmen (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hotel-and-activities-in-playe-del-carmen-46609/)

Kimberly Jun 17th, 1999 07:52 AM

Hotel and Activities in Playe del Carmen

Three of us are heading down to Playa del Carmen in July. We are booked at the Caribbean Village Playacar Golf & Beach Club for seven nights. (If you stay at one Allegro resort, you can enjoy the activities at the other four Allego properties in the Yucatan.) Can anyone provide us with feedback on the hotel? What about the activities? <BR> <BR>It is our plan to go to Cozumel and Cancun and do some sightseeing. My husband is not thrilled about being on a bus for an extended period of time to go to Chichen Itza. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. <BR>

Brian in Atlanta Jun 17th, 1999 10:06 AM

Don't miss the ruins at Tulum. It's about a 30-40 minute bus ride from Playa del Carmen. It's not as grand or extensive as Chichen Itza (sp?), but it's very dramatically positioned right on the water. You wouldn't want to go to the Yucatan without seeing some Mayan ruins. <BR> <BR>You can catch a very clean and comfortable public bus at the station in town. Buy your ticket about an hour in advance. Coming back, either catch the same bus or hop on one of the numerous buses that go up and down the highway. <BR> <BR>Playa del Carmen is a great place. Have fun! Just be very careful with the water - mouth closed in shower, no ice that you even think might not be purified (I will skip ice all together when I return) and no uncooked vegetables that may have been washed in water.

Diane Jun 23rd, 1999 07:31 PM

One of my favorite PDC activities is having a Corona, swinging (bar stools are swings)at the beach bar at the Blue Parrot, listening to live music on a soft, starlit night.

debbie Jun 24th, 1999 09:06 AM

- skip Cancun - you are only there for a week and why waste it on overly americanized & high priced Cancun. <BR>- do take the ferry to Cozumel from PDC. $12. U.S. (use pesos as it's a lot less hassle) early in the morning and explore on your own. check out Chanakanab Park and snorkel at Playa Corona. <BR>- yes, do see Tulum and you can either rent a car and check it out on your own or pick up one of the tours operating from the resort - it will include a guide which is handy and will stop off at Xel-ha - after 2 hot hours at Tulum, it's nice to cool off swimming and snorkeling at Xel-ha. that's around $54. U.S. for that all day excursion and it's worth it. <BR>- if you want to snorkel, scuba dive or beachcomb, head down to Akumal. it's about a $15 U.S. cabride one way and just ask the cabbie to drop you off at Akumal. there's restaurants and dive shops along the beach. very nice there. <BR>- we stayed at the RIU Yucatan and as your all-inclusive at Caribbean Village will most probably be the same you will be provided with bottled water in the rooms - take a bottle with you whenever you go off the resort! <BR>- and if you have time in between enjoying all 4 Allegro facilities and/or enjoying drinks at the Blue Parrot, then spend a day at Xcaret. From your resort, leave around 9am and ask the cabbie to take you to Xcaret $7.50 one way - then it's about $40. U.S. to get in but there lots to do - swim in the underground river, explore the ruins, watch people swim with the dolphins, relax by the water's edge and bask in the sun and then for some extra cash, you can swim with the dolphins, go water walking, do snuba, scuba diving, etc. plenty of restaurants, and then finish off the evening with the mexican floor show. there are plenty of lockers where you can store clean clothes, purses, etc, etc. <BR>Email me if you have more questions. <BR>Say hi to PDC for me - I loved it there! <BR>

Mary Jun 26th, 1999 05:24 PM

We just returned from a week in Akumal, just south of PDC and had a wonderful time. <BR> <BR>We thought the shopping was better, as well as the exchange rate in Cozumel. <BR> <BR>We rented a car for the entire week but did go on a bus trip to Chichen Itza. It was really an enjoyable trip - food, beer, good crew (although the lunch show and buffet in Piste kinda sucked). We were glad we did it. The guys who made up the crew on the bus told us about their lives, education, etc. We met other tourists, and even watched Mr. Bean on the way home. <BR> <BR>Tulum was my favorite of the ruins, just because the grounds were so beautiful. We also went to the ruins at Coba - a totally different experience than Chichen Itza or Tulum. <BR> <BR>We also went to Xel ha. It was a neat place $40 gets you all inclusive for the day. (Closes about 5 pm). <BR> <BR>Buen Viaje!

Kathy Jul 8th, 1999 05:29 PM

Kimberley, <BR> <BR>You can book a 1/2 day air tour on Aero Ferinco to Chichen Itza from the Playa airport on a small plane. These are beautiful ruins and it is worth the $139 for the tour. I suggest booking the morning tour that leaves about 7:30 so you arrive when Chichen opens. As you are leaving the tour busses are pulling up and hordes of people are entering the ruins. If you go by air, you will get photos of the ruins without a lot of tourists on them. Not only that, but you will have the afternoon to enjoy the beach or do something else.

Mike Jul 13th, 1999 09:47 AM

My wife and I are planning a trip to Playa Del Carmen in mid-October this year... is this a good season to travel to this region weather-wise ?