Horseback Ride from Arenal to Monteverde

Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Horseback Ride from Arenal to Monteverde

I'm trying to decide if I can fit both the Arenal area and Monteverde into our trip in May. I also plan to visit the Osa Peninsula. I tend to get car sick if I'm not driving, but I haven't tried any anti-nausea meds in many years. I'm amazed at how long the drive is from Arenal to Monteverde, although it sounds like the scenery along the lake might be worth it.

Has anyone used Desafio Adventures to get from Arenal to Monteverde via horseback?
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:58 PM

Not sure what you'd do with your car, but boating across the lake is shorter option
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

I'm still not sure I would have a car. If I choose to travel by horseback from Arenal to Monteverde, I would definitely not have one.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 08:38 PM

Arenal to Monteverde !!!! Don't even try it .
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:39 PM

We used Desafio for the Jeep Boat Jeep, and they were great - cutting across the lake saves you an hour on the bumpy roads, and the views are pretty. The road there is pretty long and you get jostled around pretty good. Haven't tried the horseback option though.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 05:26 AM

Friends tried the horseback thing; it was a long slog. They seemed ambivalent on whether they'd repeat the adventure. Maybe better if you are a more frequent rider and don't get saddle sore?
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 05:49 AM

My husband and I just did the horseback ride with Desafio in December. We loved it! It is about half an hour on a boat, 3 hours by horse and then another 1.5 hours by taxi/van/jeep (depending on the situation that day).

We don't ride all that often and were not too sore. They had a mix from people who had never ridden before to a couple who rode often.

The scenery was very pretty, but you only stay by the lake for a short time. After that you're in the forest and countryside.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Well thanks for all the replies.

I've only done horseback rides occasionally and the only time my husband went the horse started to run a little and it freaked him out. I guess it was quite a stretch to ever consider this option in the 1st place. Hopefully we can do a short ride somewhere during our stay.

On the other hand...I did look briefly at the Jeep Boat Jeep option and that looks really great. I just want to avoid those awful roads as much as possible and was exploring my options. I assume that since this is a one way trip they will transport our luggage along with us. I try to travel with carry-ons only, so I would hope that would not be a problem.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 10:32 PM

Yep, they brought our luggage along no problem.