Honeymoon suggestions in Mexico for August 2002?

Jan 13th, 2002, 02:56 PM
allison

Honeymoon suggestions in Mexico for August 2002?

I am in the process of planning my fiance and my honeymoon for this August 18th-? 2002. Neither of us have been to Mexico and are very excited, but at a loss of where to start. I picked up the Fodor's guide, but still can't seem to narrow anything down. Some of the things we are looking for: beach, quaint and nice-not luxury accomodations, unique excusions/siteseeing trips (NO TOUR GROUPS!!), and of course, regional food... we are both in the culinary industry-not looking for mass produced buffets!
Any suggestions would be helpful, we would like to go for 5-7 days, and spend anywhere from $2000 and up (not including airfare)
We have been told to stay away from the east side, due to hurricane season
Thanks for the advice!!

Jan 14th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Then, there's weather

Most of the beach cities will bring you hot and mostly humid weather in August.
Did you know that?
If not, best do some basic research of places that interest you first, then check historical weather temps.

Jan 14th, 2002, 10:21 AM
asr

I was actually going to suggest the east coast. In my experience, the beaches on the west coast leave a lot to be desired. You do have the risk of hurricane, but that doesn't increase until Sept/Oct. One thing to note, August is when most Mexican families take vacations. The resorts will be crowded.

Jan 14th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Susan

It will be very hot at that time of year, but if that's when you can go (after all, it is your honeymoon), I would suggest Zihuatanejo. I don't like Ixtapa, but Zihuatanejo is beautiful. There were some really nice restaurants there, as well as some beautiful accommodation.

I also like the Yucatan - Playa del Carmen and that area. We've been down several times and always enjoy it. Lots of small hotels there and plenty to see and do.

If you've only got 5 -7 days, maybe travel time is a consideration. For us in the east, we can fly into Cancun in 3 1/2 - 4 hours (I live in Toronto), whereas it took more than 5 hours to get to Zihuatanejo. With only 5 days, I wouldn't want to spend a couple of days getting to a place.

Feb 16th, 2002, 08:47 AM
chris

Trip report – 1-22-02 thru 2-1-02 – Cozumel
Hotel: Playa Azul, northside of island, 5$ taxi from downtown. PA ( Playa Azul) is a beach and hotel. We toured the entire island and feel that PA is the best beach for snorkling, seeing fish, swimming, relaxing. It is so blue you can see down 30 feet from the pier and see fish on the bottom. One night, it was a full moon, we wlaked out onto the pier and we could see all the way down to the sandy bottom, it was so cool. The PA Hotel is awesome, very small ( 60 rooms) and quaint. They play classical music at breakfast, food is ok but cheap. Rooms, they have a new wing and the original wing, we stayed in both. We wanted an upgraded room so we paid for a suite. The old wing suite faced the pool ( room 211) it was huge but kinda old. The balcony was hughe but not very private. It would have been great for a family, plenty of space and two bedrooms. The old wing has suites facing the beach/ocean. They have private balconies, the ones on the 1st floor walk right out to the beach (good for someone with walking upstairs problems). I would stay in these rooms in the old wing.
The new wing, awesome. Our suite ( room 201) was beautifully appointed, a raised living room, two double beds, balcony facing the sunset/beach and a huge jacuzzi tub. Rooms 101,201,301,401, all have jacuzzi tubs on the balcony. 301 and 401 would be the best because they are up higher and more private.
Any room in the new wing would be good, a little smaller but all with nice balconies facing the ocean.
The staff at the PA Hotel are incredible. They are friendly and always try to make your stay better. Martha and Fernando own the PA Hotel. We had a problem with our room the 1st night and Martha upgraded us to the jacuzzi suite room. She said she did not want our trip to suffer because of a plumbing issue. She was so nice.
There is a nice seaside rest. Next to the PA Hotel, it is the next hotel down, check out the rest. And the fish that swim up to it! Throw them some food and watch the action!
Almost everynight around 5, a pod of dolphins would swim offshore in front of the PA Hotel. Beautiful!
Don’t stay at the PA Hotel if your are looking for action! It is an older crowd that turns in around 9pm! Cozumel is a daytime place, at night things tend to quiet down except for around the crusie ship terminal.

Feb 16th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Robert

Good advice from Chris. Since you are in the culinary business, you will enjoy the restaurant scene in Cozumel. Be sure to try Cocay with a really outstanding menu and service. Also, Azul
Cobalto in the center is excellent. Both have imaginative menus.
I did notice that Chris said everyone turns in for the night at 9PM. This may be true for the tourist not not the locals--they BEGIN the parties at about 11PM !

Feb 17th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Dolores

Mexico coastal towns in August?!! Even the natives complain at 120 degrees. Delay the honeymoon or choose a cooler place.

Feb 17th, 2002, 08:47 AM
dan

Try mexicomexico.info

Feb 18th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Beth

Try Bermuda or Hawaii. I've been in Cancun in June , and just walking outside my face felt like it was burning. Hawaii was low humidity and tradewinds. There are plenty of good places to stay at any budget. I would suggest Kannapali Beach in Maui.

Search this Thread