honeymoon in Zihua/Ixtapa...help!

Dec 31st, 1969, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Why do you travel?

Is it to get away from work, your house, the stresses of daily life?

Is it to see a new place, the good, bad and ugly, learn about a new culture, taste new foods, meet the natives, see things you've never seen before?

Is it to re-connect with your spouse or family members since you don't get quality time together on a day-to-day basis?

So many reasons to travel. But reasons #1 and #3 say more about our current quality of life, not the need to leave our homes and go somewhere new . . .

This isn't a judgement of any of these reasons (or others), just something I'm pondering in my ole noggin.
Original Poster

Cassandra, I can really relate to what you wrote:

"I travel to wake my brain up, to refresh my spirit from the staleness of same-old same-old."

That's definitely a big reason why I travel so much. And the planning! I always have a trip planned, which is my "carrot" to keep me going when work gets too stressful.

I guess I am #1 and 2, but if I won megabucks tomorrow and could quit my job, I'd be travelling primarily for question #2. You have to travel not just to see the world, but understand your place in it. That, and because the world is my buffet!!

At 45 I just started started to experience the luxury of travel. I've always been blessed by being able to spend summers in Wisconsin with my parents. My children are fortunate to spend their entire summer up north also with my parents. The only draw back to this is that as a family (Husband and 2 boys) we never really went anywhere else. Last year the four of us went to Maya Riviera for a week and it was wonderful. We spent a lot of time reconnecting with each other and the memories are great. Next Feb. my girlfriend and I are planning on going somewhere warm for a week to just relax and have "girl fun." Traveling is a privilege and the planning and anticipation are just as fun. Any suggestions? Carla

I just came back from the Palm Springs Elderhostel, and one lady there was doing 3 back-to-back South California programs because her house is being remodeled... now that's the reason for travels, LOL!

honeymoon in Zihua/Ixtapa...help!

Agreed.
My spouse would contend that the perfect vacation is a week at home (with no distractions, if that could be arranged).
I think a vacation week at home would actually increase my level of stress (theoretically--it's never happened so I don't know).
Mar 22nd, 2000, 02:33 PM
heather

My fiance and I have finally decided on Villa Del Sol in Zihuatenejo for our honeymoon. Here is the question...Do we opt for their four night honeymoon package with the lagoon suite, breakfast every day, candlelight dinner on the beach, massage, etc. and stay an additional 4 nights at the Westin in Ixtapa? Or, stay all 8 nights at Villa in the standard room, no extra frills. I am leaning toward the first option, but will we be greatly disappointed when we have to leave the Villa for Ixtapa? We want the best experience possible on somewhat of a budget. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated!

Mar 23rd, 2000, 06:24 AM
Jen

We stayed at Casa que Canta in Zihuatenejo, and it was the best place I have ever stayed and I travel all the time. We could only get four nights at Casa Que Canta because it was full, so we had the remaining three nights at the Westin in Ixtapa. We went to Ixtapa to check it out while we were staying in Zihuantenejo, and we cancelled our nights at the Westin. I did not like Ixtapa at all, especially compared to Z. The Westin is nice, I think, but it is a resort hotel with no personality, lots of kids, and Ixtapa is very fake, its like a fake little Mexican village set up for tourists, we HATED it. So, we spent our remaining nights at Villa Del Sol which was very nice. Its right on the beach, you can have lunch anywhere you are sitting, they bring over a table and set it up. The bar is nice. I really liked it, but I LOVED Casa Que Canta. The rooms at villa del sol were nice, but very basic. I think we were in a standard room. The suites looked beautiful, but I really think it would be hard to move on to Ixtapa. I would opt for plan two. Villa Del Sol is much better for a honeymoon. But, not to throw a wrench into your plans, I think you should look into Casa Que Canta. The standard rooms there are so beautiful it is unbelievable. I love kids, but on a honeymoon its nice to have all adults - Casa Que Canta allows only over 16. I think the rate is reasonable, and a steal for what you are getting. A mix of the two hotels would be great, because they are pretty close to eachother, but Casa Que Canta is on a Cliff overlooking the water. Its stunning, but there is no beach access, so its nice to have a few days at both. But, if I had to choose it would be Casa Que Canta hands down, but Villa Del Sol is also a great choice for a honeymoon. Have fun!

Mar 25th, 2000, 06:32 PM
sandy

Has anyone looked into the hotel Villa Carolina? It was supposedly built by the same architect as Casa Que Canta. Alos, how is the weather in late April..is there rain in May?

Apr 14th, 2000, 07:36 AM
aimee

Jen-
I am torn between the two hotels, Casa and Villa. I was all set to do Villa and then found all these great things about Casa, help! We love the beach and know that Villa is on the beach but the views from Casa look so amazing. Is it possible to walk down to the beach at Casa? We do not want kids, and want to be pampered. At Casa the week that we want to go there are not standard rooms available so it would be a suite, but this is more $ than a suuite at Villa with garden or lagoon views. What do you recommend? Having stayed at both your advice is badly needed and appreciated greatly! Thanks

Apr 14th, 2000, 01:01 PM
Susan

We were in Zihuatanejo in March of 1999. Our budget doesn't extend to either Villa del Sol or Casa que Canta, but if it did, I would pick Casa. Casa looked wonderful. Did you ever see "When a Man Loves a Woman" with Meg Ryan and Andy Garcia? There were a couple of scenes filmed there.

I know lots of forum readers love Villa del Sol, but we met a couple who had stayed at Villa del Sol and didn't think it was worth it. They had moved to another property across the bay (for the life of me, I can't think of the name of it). It was very nice, but not so convenient.

Probably either would be a good choice, but my vote goes to Casa que Canta.

Apr 24th, 2000, 05:18 PM
dave

Love that Villa del Sol. Had a great time there.

Apr 26th, 2000, 05:56 PM
roxanne

Villa Del Sol is by far the most romantic if you have that kind of money. We love it.

Apr 28th, 2000, 12:34 PM
jen

These people know what they are talking about, both hotels are great and I don't think you can really go wrong with either. But here is another suggestion, we stayed at Villa Mexicana for 4 nights and Villa del sol for 4 nights. Villa MEx and villa del sol are RIGHT next to each other on la ropa beach so it was a very easy move, but we got to be more pampered. Both are nice places. Villa Mexicana is only $86 per night for ocean view and you we were two steps from the sand!

May 3rd, 2000, 07:24 AM
laura

Casa De Canta (the house that sings) is absolutely beautiful! In the movie When a Man Loves a Woman with Meg Ryan there are scenes filmed there look for the swimming pool -AWESOME!!!!! it expands out over the cliff and feels as if you can swim out to eternity. Rooms are gorgeous with a flower mirage made up on your bed every night, this is the place that the stars flock to- perfect provacy if you want it. You can walk down the side stairs built into the cliff to get to the beach - very easy!
You would not want to pass up a chance to stay here, we had met many hooneymooners when I went 3 years ago.