honeymoon in Novmber- RH vs. El dor vs. adventura spa

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi- My finace and I are trying to decide on a place for our honeymoon. We had thought of Belize in June (our actual wedding date but might wait until end of year due to work). I've had Adventura Spa recommended and have heard good things about El Dorado Royale, and have of course read many wonderful things about Royal Hideaway. I was leaning towards RH, but have read that most people are older and there isn't a lot of activity. We are in our mid-thirties and while we aren't the "party" type, we do like to dance and socialize. What does everyone think about the three? We want nice, but not snooty, good food, nice pool, clean. We're open minded, confused, and don't have too much time to plan! Oh- and I've read that people have used skyauction with success. ANything to be woried about in terms of different treatment upon arrival? I figure if we can get the same thing for $1000 less, why not?! Thank you!!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

bumping...
Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:29 PM

My husband and I are going to RH in June. It will be our first trip to PDC, so I cannot offer any advice on the other resorts. I did however book our trip through skyauction.com and we saved $1000 off the price my travel agent quoted me for RH and we got an extra night (10 nights vs 9). I have used skyauction in the past for other trips such as an Alaskan Cruise and we were not treated any different.

When would you be honeymooning? It would be great if we were there at the same time. Maybe we could meet for a drink? We'll be there June 8-18.

Congratulations and good luck with you honeymoon plans.

Nancy
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:45 PM

Would you consider a high-end hotel in Cancun, such as the JW Marriott, the Ritz-Carlton, or the LeMerdien?
These are luxurious, beautiful hotels with great service,gorgeous beaches and views, but you have the freedom of enjoying Cancun's nightlife and some great restaurants downtown.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi Nancy- Thanks for the reply. It would be fun if we were going the same time, but I think if we do Mexico we'll wait until November and make it a belated honeymoon. But I hope you write a trip report after you return- I'd love to hear your impressions!!
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:46 PM

My husband and I have gone to the Royal Hideaway for the past 2 years for our anniversary, and hope to return again this year. I'm 38 and he's 48. The resort is pretty quiet at night, but there is a low-key nightclub with a small dance floor. Depending on the mix of people you have when you're there, the nightclub could range from fairly lively to dead - I've seen it both ways. The guest mix we've seen has been mid-20s on up - lots of honeymooners and anniverary people. Some were friendly and others kept more to themselves (mainly the honeymooners - they seemed to spend their time gazing into each other's eyes - LOL). The town is only a short cab ride away, so if it's a dead week, you can always go to some of the Playa del Carmen night spots. I believe there's also complimentary admission to the resort next door (under the same management umbrella). Frankly, after spending all day in the sun, we weren't up for too much nightlife - an hour in the nightclub after dinner, and I was ready for bed. We liked the quieter atmosphere, but for some people, it might be a bit too quiet.