Honeymoon in Bosque del Cabo, Osa - MAY or JUNE??

Aug 5th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon in Bosque del Cabo, Osa - MAY or JUNE??

We are getting married mid-May and want to go on our honeymoon to the Osa. We are willing to go at the end of May, or anytime in June.

Is there a particular month that is better, weather wise? We don't mind mud and rain, as long as its not so heavy that you can't still hike.

We do actually want there to be some rain when we go. I know June is nice and rainy, but I'm not sure how wet the end of May is.

Is one particular month much hotter than the other?

Is it still green and pretty at the end of May?

I've been to Costa Rica before (Arenal, Manuel Antonio, and Monteverde) in June. I liked that it was very green and didn't mind that it rained every day in the afternoon. My fiance hasn't been to Costa Rica before, but he also likes the rain.

We are also considering Arenal/Monteverde as a honeymoon destination, but Bosque Del Cabo looks a little more remote and untouched, which we think is a good thing. Any advise?
Aug 5th, 2009, 01:43 AM

BdC is definitely more remote and untouched. If that's what you're looking for then BdC is your place. We went in July and surprisingly did not have one drop of rain even though it's the rainy season. Dinners are communal there, which is really fun - just wanted to mention that since it is your honeymoon. I think Arenal and the Osa together make a wonderful trip; those are two of our favorite spots.
Aug 5th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Ditto everything vgirl has said. Tully loves it there in May, and we have enjoyed June and July visits--always. Better chance of the kind of rain you'd like to enjoy in June and July. Have fun--and congratulations on your engagement!
Aug 5th, 2009, 10:56 AM

I've been in late May/early June and late June/early July and I thought it was equally beautiful in Osa. In June/July a few more late evening thunderstorm/rain showers.
Aug 5th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, thunderstorms are always fun.
Aug 5th, 2009, 02:52 PM

I love thunderstorms in CR - especially at night when you can sit on your porch or balcony and watch them roll in. Nothing is cozier in my book.
Aug 5th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Volcanogirl - I agree, sitting on the porch watching thunderstorms is definitely something I enjoyed on my last trip to Costa Rica, and definitely something that my fiance will also enjoy. It sounds like late June is best when seeking thunderstorms, then?

There are a lot of complicated issues with choosing where to go. For one thing - my fiance is afraid of flying - and I know he won't enjoy the short small plane ride from San Jose down to the Osa (though I know he'd like Bosque del Cabo more than Arenal - as he really wants to see animals).. I know that driving there from San Jose is too much trouble than we'd like to deal with, and would take up too much extra time..

I want him to have an enjoyable honeymoon - and be willing to travel again. I've traveled around the world, but he's pretty new to international travel.. so I want him to enjoy things. I know that he has enough of an adventurous spirit to truly appreciate Bosque del Cabo, but I'm worried the plane ride will be difficult for him.

Arenal is beautiful as well - but I think we'll enjoy the remoteness of Osa/Bosque del Cabo more. We both love animals and wildlife and I know we'd both enjoy seeing them.

Any thoughts??
Aug 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM

The plane ride down to Puerto Jimenez was very difficult for my partner. He knew we had to take a smaller plane, but he didn't realize just how small (this was on one of Sansa's 12-seaters or whatever they are). There were some mild panic attack symptoms, and he kept his eyes closed through a lot of the flight (whereas I was glued to the window) -- and I had to do some talking: "Now just close your eyes and pretend you're on the beach". But, even through all that, he's willing to do it again in order to get to BdC. We're in the midst of planning a return trip next summer. So, that must tell you it's worth it, and your fiance will be glad he did it.

You can also consider taking Nature Air instead -- bigger planes and smaller windows. The Sansa planes are so small you can't even stand up in them, but the Nature Air planes almost seem normal.
Aug 5th, 2009, 09:12 PM

Well, Nature Air still seem pretty small to me, but maybe have closer to 14-18 seats? At least their planes have 2 props! I'm no fan of flying, never have been, but the safety record with the airlines is very strong, and somehow I always manage to feel more comfortable than I do on bigger planes. The views are outstanding, so interesting. The Bosque del Cabo staff seem to favor Nature Air.
Aug 6th, 2009, 03:54 AM

I'm partial to May as rainsy season is just starting but then again just went in June and it was lovely too. Great storms at night which made everything so nice and fresh in the morning.

I would have your fiance look at the video posted on Bosque's website, as well as all the photos on the site and that posters have put up (wasigan's trip report here on fodors has a link to her recent, excellent pics) and ask him if he can make a 55 minute flight to get to all that. These little planes fly all day long, every week and have very good records. Btw, just a heads up if you do end up flying - about 10 minutes after leaving San Jose and also 10 minutes before arriving there, you will almost always hit turbulence. It's normal, and last for a few minutes, as SJ is in a valley. I still hate it but just so you know what to expect. Hope you can convince him, it's well worth it!!
Aug 6th, 2009, 09:02 AM

We had a Nature Air flight come in in Tortuguero - it was tiny, but maybe because there weren't many people on the flight? BdC booked us on Sansa when we went. We like Sansa just because the location right next to SJO is so convenient, but I really think both airlines are about the same.

I really think the flight is worth it even if you're a nervous flier - maybe your doctor can give him something to relax? I've known people that take something before they get on a flight. Or maybe he could have a couple Imperials?! I think showing him the BdC video is a great idea. Sometimes doing the scary things in life gives you the greatest reward. Show him what he could look forward to.
Aug 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Yeah.. I hope I can convince him also. I think once he sees what a cool place it is, from the pictures and the videos, he'll be more willing.

He says he's taken all kinds of anti-anxiety medications and even tranquilizers before he's flown and he gets so nervous he says they still don't help. I don't know, maybe he's exaggerating? Either way, it's only an hour flight to go to a very special and unique place.. so we'll see how it pans out. I'll just tell him to think of the monkeys!
Apr 13th, 2010, 07:21 AM

Although flying is faster from SJO to Osa, there is something to be said for driving. Think of all you miss along the way.