COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Honeymoon In Arenal & Monteverde - Best RESTAURANTS?

Old Mar 13th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Honeymoon In Arenal & Monteverde - Best RESTAURANTS?

My fiance and I are traveling to Costa Rica for our honeymoon in June and are so excited for our trip. We are starting in Alajuela and are going to visit Arenal and Monteverde.

We are staying at Hotel Villa Bonita in Alajuela, The Lost Iguana Resort in Arenal area, Hotel Fonda Vela in Monteverde area, and finally the Hotel Bougainvillea in Santo Domingo de Heredia. We will be driving so we will have a car.

What are some of your favorite "don't-miss" restaurants in these areas and what did you enjoy eating there? We are hoping to spend under $10 on an average meal, but could spend more on a special splurge meal. We love all kinds of foods. My fiance loves spicy food.

My fiance and I both have very delicate digestive systems and tend to get stomach problems often, so we want to be sure to pick restaurants that have good quality-control and won't make us sick.

Thanks in advanced for the help.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM

Don Rufino is a great spot - one of the "cuter" restaurants and close to the city center with the park and the church. I had a mountain trout dish there in a brandy lemon sauce that was delicious; it came with yummy mashed potatoes. Also like La Choza de Laurel - fun open air spot. Soda la Parada is a good chance to try Costa Rican pizza; we split one for ten bucks. El Novillo has some good steaks. A lot of the restaurants there are just a concrete slab with a roof, open air. We had a good lunch at the Hanging Bridges, much better than the snack bar food we were expecting.

Pizzeria de Johnny is good in Monteverde. Also the restaurant on site at Fonda Vela is good, and they usually have the fireplace going which is nice. We had some great smoothies at the Monteverde Reserve made with fresh fruit.

You won't find a lot of spicy food in CR, mostly casados, rice, beans, etc.
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 05:59 AM

El Novillo steak house under $10 entees good

for a fine dining splurge El Emperador

www.royalcorin.com best for fine dining
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Mmm.. sounds tasty! I went to Costa Rica in 2005 and remember Pizzeria de Johnny being interesting, and a nice change from the traditional Costa Rican cuisine.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 03:07 PM

They've recently remodeled it, and it's huge now. I had a great salad there, and my husband liked the pizza. It's a cute place. Good spot to go to when you have rice and bean overload.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 04:09 PM
RAC

We really liked Morpho's in Santa Elena (Monteverde). The Tree House and Sofia's were also good, though very different.

The best dining experience we had in Arenal was dinner at Eco Termales. Get an evening reservation if you can.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 05:33 PM

We really enjoyed the dinner at Eco T too; we thought the chicken was great, beef was good but a little chewy as is most CR beef.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

It's making me hungry just thinking about it! I'm a major foodie, so I'm looking forward to the interesting cuisine!
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 09:12 AM

In Monteverde, go to the Sabores ice cream parlor. The region actually has a huge dairy industry, as well as coffee, so their coffee milkshake was one of the best ice cream treats I've ever had!

More info and pics from our Costa Rica trip at http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot....osta-rica.html
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM

We had some of the locally made ice cream which was also very good - topped with green cherries!
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:26 AM

In MV we loved Stella's Bakery/Deli right across the road from CASEM on the way to the reserve. Ditto on Sabores ice cream - the best!! I eat mainly chicken and fish when in CR, find the beef pretty tough. You'll love the fresh fruit on the breakfast buffets at the hotels.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and enjoy a great honeymoon!