Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Honduras vs Guatemala (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/honduras-vs-guatemala-749716/)

ttraveler Nov 20th, 2007 02:14 PM

Honduras vs Guatemala

If you were to choose one to visit for a week which would it be? Do you consider one country safer then another? One easier to get around? Thanks

hopefulist Nov 20th, 2007 06:57 PM

Having 2nd thoughts?! They both seem safe to me if you use good judgment in your planning and traveling so it depends on what you are looking for. Honduras is tough to beat imo because of the combination of Maya culture, inland activities, and gorgeous islands. Guatemala doesn't offer the latter but is so culturally colorful it's an amazing destination, too. You've seen my pictures, right? You can't go wrong with either.

PS Don't forget to consider Belize, too. :)

ttraveler Nov 20th, 2007 09:25 PM

Thanks, Honduras it will be. I've been to Belize and loved it. We did a side trip to Tikal. I just got back from Nicaragua and while there I met a gentleman who said that Guatemala shoudn't be missed. He also said that he didn't feel like it would be safe for us to visit so I am glad that you feel otherwise. Yes, we are careful while we travel. It's just the whole transfer thing that has me wondering if it's the best use of my short time.
I've looked at your pictures about five times now.. love them.

hopefulist Nov 21st, 2007 05:32 AM

You'll be back. Once you get your Honduras ducks in a row you can start planning your Guatemala trip. Happy trails!

Jeff_Costa_Rica Nov 21st, 2007 06:40 AM

You can't go wrong with either one, as hopefulist pointed out, so Honduras will be a good choice. :)

ttraveler Nov 21st, 2007 09:55 AM

Thanks again for your help. Yes, I am sure that one day I will make it to Guatemala. It seems that I am hardly back from one trip until I am ready to go again. I guess that's what happens.
Jeff, are you always traveling? When I was going to Nicaragua you were also a big help.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Nov 21st, 2007 12:03 PM

It seems that way, ttraveler. It's what I do for a living. :)

ttraveler Nov 21st, 2007 12:31 PM

lucky you!

Seaturtlelady Nov 23rd, 2007 10:28 AM

Does Honduras have the same kinds of theft problems as Costa Rica???

hopefulist Nov 23rd, 2007 02:01 PM

Petty theft is present in countries where the valuables you are carrying are worth more than some people's annual income; in some areas most families live on less than $2/day. We've spent a total of about 10 weeks in Honduras without a negative incident and all others I know who have travelled there have never had a problem. I've never rented a car, though, and several recent stories I've read about theft in CR were involving damage to or theft from rental cars.

Honduras is an interesting, beautiful, safe place to travel imo and I'm looking forward to a return trip this summer. Happy trails!