Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Hola! What's your recommendation for MERIDA, CAMPECHE, and TULUM (we're doing this all by car in 1 week...)

Hola! What's your recommendation for MERIDA, CAMPECHE, and TULUM (we're doing this all by car in 1 week...)

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fellow fodor's friends:

My friend and I are in our mid 20's. We are planning a trip the first week in October for one full week. We land in Cancun and are considering the following stops:

>> Valladolid
>> Merida
>> Campeche
>> Tulum

We're not really interested in the touristy/cancun experience.

We are going to rent a car and drive to all destinations.

Do you think we are missing any great places between these cities?

Do you think we should replace any of these cities with other stops?

Do you....? (all feedback welcome)

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Almost 2 years ago we took our daughters there, rented a car in Cancun and what we enjoyed was:

Tulum beaches, Coba, Uxmal, Merida, Valladolid, Chichen Itza, took the car ferry to Cozumel and enjoyed the "other" side of the island mucho. It is easy to drive in the Yucatan.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Pausanias

When in Valladdoild be sure to visit the Ek Balam archaeological site. Chichen Itza can also be visited from there.

From Merida take a day to see Uxmal, spend the night there and tour the Puuc cities and Loltun cave the next day.

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:29 PM

I would recommend staying at both Chichen Itza and Uxmal. The Mayaland resorts are the best choice. You then can enter the parks in late afternoon and early morning when it's cooler and less crowded. You also can enter at night for the sound and light shows. These inns have good restaurants and beautiful swimming pools.

Consider spending two nights at Uxmal so you can have the afternoon of the second day to explore the Ruta Puuc ruins which are nearby. We did this trip in April and enjoyed it very much. We also spent a few days on the beach in Tulum.

Driving in the Yucatan is easy and the roads are in generally good condition. Driving in Merida however is not fun. The streets are confusing and parking is very limited. Consider staying at one of the Haciendas on the edge of town.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 10:48 AM

If I were you , I would skip Tulum and concentrate on the other three. Four stops in one week is to much. As it is , with three, you will be on the road every other day.

Cancun/Valladolid approx. 2.0 hrs
Valladolid/ Merida " 2.0 hrs
Merida/Campeche " 2.5 hrs
Campeche/Cancun " 6.5 hrs

And do not forget to factor in packing/unpacking/checking in and out of hotels and the occaisional wrong turn.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 02:28 PM

1. I agree, you have too many sites for only a one week trip, ten days or better yet two weeks would be better. Either drop Campeche or drop Tulum.

2. In Campeche this past May we stayed at Hotel Del Mar, right on the malecon. This is a big city and easy to get lost in. Cost was US$75/night, ocean view is US$105/night in May.

3. In Valladolid we stayed at Hotel Meson de Marques on the main square. Cost was about US$65/75 but was a couple of years ago. Restaurant is good and Ek Balam ruins are really excellent. This past year we stayed again at Hotel Hacienda Chichen Itza, cost was US$125 for two double beds it is about $20 more for a king bed. Nice hotel with beautiful grounds and pool to cool off in after tromping around the ruins.

Sorry, have not stayed in Merida yet.

Have not stayed in Tulum, feel it is overpriced these days, we usually stay in Akumal which is much better snorkeling. Usually stay at Hotel Akumal Caribe right on the main bay. This past year was US$99 plus tax.

Have fun.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any opinions on the BEST places to stay in Campeche besides Hotel del Mar? I heard some good things about Hotel del Mar from Jamie et. al, but I am not finding a lot of information online about this place, including the hotel's web site (under construction).

We are looking for a nicer, slightly more upscale place to stay that is close to the culture and city pace. We do not want to stay too far from the action so we are not looking for a remote Hacienda or anything like that.

Also, what is your opinion on the drive from Campeche to Tulum or Cancun?
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:47 AM

When you're in Tulum, I really recommend that you check out this company for the best adventure tour:

www.alltournative.com

It was totally the highlight of my trip when I went a few years ago (we did Merida, Chichen Itza, Playa del Carmen). The tours go out of Tulum also. We did the "Mayan Encounter" tour, which includes going to the Coba ruins, then you visit a real Mayan village, hike, do a short zip line, canoe, and (the best part ever) you lower yourself down by rope (rappel) 45 feet down into a cenote -- this big cave half filled with water -- and you can float around on an inner tube down there or swim. It was amazing and I still think about it years later. Anyway, in case you're into stuff like this, I really wanted to mention it.

Merida is awesome. We based ourselves there for a few days and took a private guided tour of all the ruins nearby (Uxmal and the Puuc region). We also did a day trip out to the coast to the town of Celestun to see the flocks of thousands of pink flamingos... it was surreal. You can easily book this in Merida, if you want. Just some thoughts -- you'll have a great time!