Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Hilton Buenos Aires--For Free?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hilton-buenos-aires-for-free-386094/)

jannan Jun 29th, 2008 04:57 AM

Hilton Buenos Aires--For Free??

I can use my honors points for free nights in the Hilton, Buenos Aires...but sometimes "free" isn't worth it...

Is this hotel is a decent enough location? Will I be spending more to taxi to places to eat, visit, etc. than say staying in one of the other places frequently listed on this board?

drdawggy Jun 29th, 2008 05:33 AM

I would gladly stay at the Hilton for free!!!

The Hilton is located in Puerto Madero. There are numerous restaurants in the refurbished old warehouses just across the bridge from the Hilton. Or you can walk or take a taxi to downtown. There are cabs on the side of the Hilton or you can walk across the bridge and hail a cab from the street.

Just be sure to request a room that is not directly above the Asia de Cuba restaurant/nightclub or you will be awake all night....

jannan Jun 29th, 2008 06:14 AM

Perfect, thanks. Free remains my four-letter word of choice!!!

Graziella5b Jun 29th, 2008 06:36 AM

I love the HIlton, I think it is well located, you will spend a little more in taxis but this is not a big deal in Buenos Aires because they are not expensive at all.
One advantage of been there is that it is a safety area very well taken care by the Port Authority, it is also very nice , full of restaurants and the air is nice.
Having said this you are not in the real Buenos Aires, I mean the traditional Buenos Aires but only a short ride away, or a short walk away. At night though take only taxis do not walk from the:" city-city "to PUerto Madero.
Also on week ends I think it is better to get in and out of Puerto Madero in taxis.

MnJ Jun 30th, 2008 12:24 PM

Last month we spent four nights at the Buenos Aires Hilton. As drdawggy
has already mentioned, there are numerous restaurants across the bridge and they open early in the evening. The Hilton breakfast includes made to order omelets but their buffet scrambled eggs were too wet for our taste. Our room had a room-safe large enough for the laptop. We enjoyed the lobby bar and on weekends they had a piano player. This hotel, just for your info, seems to be a conference focused hotel with many groups coming and going. One evening, we saw back-to-back weddings. This hotel seems to stress security as there are a number of men dressed in identical grey suits---kind of watching everything. And they rarely smiled. Also, ask the desk staff to help you identify
counterfeit pesos. We noticed that when we gave them large peso notes to exchange for smaller denominations (you will want to have a number of 5 and 10 pesos notes because it seems that the merchants and taxi drivers never have change), the staff looked at every bill we gave them. So after they taught us what to look for, we did the same every time we were given currency, including pesos from money exchangers and in the markets.