Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Hiking the Inca Trail (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hiking-the-inca-trail-758216/)

kp12267 Dec 26th, 2008 10:25 AM

Hiking the Inca Trail

I'm looking for suggestions and approximate pricing. We're thinking of going to Peru between March 26 to April 4th and I would like to do about a 4 day hike to Machu Pichu. Can anyone suggest a good travel company, and itinerary with reasonable prices?

crellston Dec 26th, 2008 05:32 PM

intenseperu's reply seems like an advertisement which is not allowed under the T&Cs of this forum so buyer beware!

Here is a link to our trip report on our Lares to Ollantaytambo trek which was a highlight of our current RTW trip. We arranged our trek with Miguel Jovens through SA Explorers Club and would highly recommend miguel as a guide. From memory I think the cost was in teh region of $300 pp for a private trek. I imagine the inca Trail would be higher.

qwovadis Dec 27th, 2008 07:43 AM

www.llamapath.com one of the best...

Prices are all about the same better

to choose a good company

who take care of ther porters

than just anyone.

Your time is quite limited

be sure you allow time at altitude

and be prepared for altitudesickness

issues for best experience...

P_M Dec 28th, 2008 07:46 AM

I used GAP Adventures and I do recommend it for the Inca Trail hike. If you use GAP for the rest of your trip be advised the hotels are VERY basic, but prices are quite good.

My biggest regret about hiking the Inca Trail is not bringing Diamox. Others in my group did take Diamox and they handled the altitude much better than I did. Chewing coca leaves helps.

If you have any other questions about Peru or the Inca Trail please post back.

kp12267 Jan 3rd, 2009 04:59 PM

Thanks for your quick responses, I definitely will check out all your suggestions. Question- Anyone know how the weather is in late March? I'm want make sure we have great views of Machu Pichu when we arrive.

P_M Jan 3rd, 2009 05:04 PM

kp, those great views are never a guarantee. I was there in the heart of dry season. Every day of the hike we had perfect weather but when we arrived at the Sun Gate (end of the trail, gate to Machu Picchu) there was so much fog we saw NOTHING!! We waited 45 minutes and the fog didn't lift. We finally hiked down to the spot of the classic view of MP and again, NOTHING. It was 2 hours before the fog lifted and we saw MP for the first time. And once again, this was in dry season.

I hope your luck is better but you cannot be sure of a great view at any time of year.

For weather stats:

www.weatherbase.com

seedgod1 Jan 5th, 2009 07:05 PM

just returned 2 days ago from peru -SAS lived up to everything they advertised and more - only hitch was return train ride mix-up and immediately refunded the correct amount - guides, arrangements, food, etc were all excellent

kp12267 Jan 5th, 2009 07:41 PM

If we were to stay an extra few days near Machu Pichu, would you have any recommendations of good sites to see or places to visit. Also what are the best means of safe, reliable transportation if we ventured on our own?

patty28 Jan 6th, 2009 10:29 AM

Hi,

I traveled last year with this online company www.intenseperu.com and I have a great experience. I think is better contact directly a travel agency without intermediaries I think that is why the price was reasonable and I recived a very good service.

qwovadis Jan 7th, 2009 07:23 AM

All of "Patty's" posts are pumping

intenseperu...

Did intense peru

have a quick sex change?

producerkoof Jan 7th, 2009 06:35 PM

I went with Llama Path in April 2008. Highly recommend them. Casiano (our guide) was fantastic and the meals the porters made were delicious.

kp12267 Apr 16th, 2009 06:28 PM

So we just got back from Peru. and we decided to go with Llamapath! our tour guide Marco was great, and although we had a bit of rain we can't complain because Machu Picchu was amazing. If anyone is thinking on taking the Inca Trail I highly recommend Llamapath. They treat their porters very nicely and the food and experience was amazing. Thanks again for all your suggestions, they definitely helped!

maribel2 Apr 18th, 2009 05:25 AM

we did lares with peru planet , great tour!can recommend them , new material , grat guideand different route
they charge around 360 usd for the lares trekking