Reload this Page >

Highly recommended taxi driver in the Sacred Valley of Peru

Old Jun 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We just got back from our 2-week trip in Peru. Just want to let others know about our excellent and reliable taxi driver in the Sacred Valley named Victor. We used him for airport transfer from Cusco to Ollanta, a day trip from Ollanta to Pisac and then to the train station in Ollanta, and for pickup from the train station in Ollanta back to Cusco and for the drive to Sacsayhuayman. He's totally trustworthy, honest, on-time. He knows all the sightseeing routes and where the rail and bus offices in Cusco, etc. His rates were very reasonable, and he was very willing to do more than we'd first agreed on. But we tipped him well at the end. We were so glad to have him around during our stay there.

We came to know Victor from our airport transfer from Cusco airport to Ollanta we booked through
http://www.elalbergue.com/en/servicios.php

You could try to do the same and ask for Victor. Even though we didn't stay at El Albergue, we were able to book the airport transfer by emailing them. It costs $35 USD total, which is very reasonable given that the "official" taxis at the airport were asking $40 USD.

Victor came to pick us up in his decent Toyota Corolla station wagon (most taxis out there were pretty beat up). Plenty of trunk space for luggage, and the seatbelts were functional (not commonly the case with other taxis out here). He drove very carefully and put us at ease. (We sometimes got scared sitting in other taxis in Peru, where the drivers seemed to be either amateur or reckless drivers.)

Victor's English was very limited, but with my very primitive Spanish and a phrasebook, we were able to communicate well enough. For the train pickup info, I just wrote it down on a piece of paper (Machu Picchu --> Ollanta and the date and time of arrival) and he understood it perfectly and was there waiting for us right down at the train gate to help us with the luggage.

==============
Some details about the rides we had with Victor:

1) Cusco Airport --> Ollanta $35 USD

We asked him to first drop by the Peru Rail office in Cusco, so we could exchange our e-tickets for the paper tickets. And he took us right to the office in Cusco while waited for us. The transaction didn't take too long. We next asked him if he could take us to a place to buy boleto turisticos, but he said we could buy them at any tourist sites. He was right, we were able to buy them at the Ollanta ruins.

Along the drive, he tried to point out sights for us, but with our limited Spanish, we couldn't get much.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Oops... my post was cut-off. Too long..

========Continue==========

Along the drive, he tried to point out sights for us, but with our limited Spanish, we couldn't understand much. We wanted to buy water, and he stopped by a shop and went in with us. My husband paid $1 USD for a big bottle, but he told us that we could have paid in soles for less.

He next stopped by the Chinchero outdoor market. We just needed a bathroom break and briefly admired the beautiful views of the mountains and valleys there. At such high elevation, our heads were beginning to spin so we didn't want to look at what they had for sell.

We fell asleep after that in the car, and he woke us up when we approached Ollanta. He took us right to our hotel (Munay Tika), and brought our luggage inside. We tipped him $5 USD, and he tried to return it to us saying the cost was only $35. But we indicated it was for him, and he was grateful.

Based on this experience, we asked him if he could drive us to Pisac on Sunday (2 days later), and he agreed.
=====================

Ollanta to Pisac to Ollanta Train Station $25 USD (6 hours total)

He promptly showed up in front of our hotel at 8 a.m. waiting for us. We were running a bit late to check out, etc. but he was patiently waiting for us. He first took us to the Pisac ruins, to the very top of the ruins. He showed us the route to take and meet him in the lower parking lot. At first we thought it was too long, as we didn't want to miss the market, but he assured us that it's doable in 1 1/2 hours and he was right. When we got to the lower parking lot, we saw people were walking up, reversing our ourte which was a lot harder, esp if you're not used to the elevation. I'm glad he planned this easier route for us.

He then took us right to the market and we told him what time we'd meet him again in the parking lot outside the market. Indeed he was there waiting for us after 2 hours of browsing the market.

He drove us back to our hotel, got our luggage and took us to the train station.

We heard from other travelers that the cost of the hotel up to the Pisac ruins from the market alone costs $14 USD, so $25 USD for this roundtrip was very reasonable, given that he spent like 6 hours with us.

========================
Ollanta Train Station --> Cusco --> Sacsayhuayman $30 USD + $15 USD tip

Again, Victor promptly was there at the gate when we got off the train from Machu Picchu. We were so glad to see a familiar face greeting us. Glad we didn't have to go through haggling with some random taxi driver. He carried our luggage up to the parking lot, and dropped us back to our hotel in Ollanta (Munay Tika) to pick up our luggage.

We wanted to hang out in Ollanta a bit longer to grab something for lunch and to take pictures of the alleys in this charming town. He said no problem and waited for us in the plaza.

Along the drive back to Cusco, we asked him to drop by the Chinchero market again, so we could buy some stuff. And he gladly complied.

We later asked him if we could go to Sacsayhuayman that afternoon. He hestitated a bit, and made a phone call (maybe to his family) as it was Sunday and he had to drive back to Ollanta. But he said it was ok, without asking for more money.

Back in Cusco, we had yet one more request for him -- to drop us at the Inka Express bus office to buy our bus tickets and he took us right there. It was out of the way and hard to find but he found it alright. And patiently waited for like 20 minutes for the transaction to be completed.

He then dropped us at the Ninos Hotel, and waited for us to check in. And took us to Sacsayhuayman, and waited for us like 2+ hours.

And took us back to the hotel when it was getting dark. He practically spent the whole day with us, and we felt we should tip him $15 USD above his $30 USD asking price.

Victor was well worth it, and we highly recommend him to other travelers. We felt so much better to have him around, as it was very convenient and we felt totally safe with him.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 09:46 PM

Victor should get alot of calls, emails from this post.
In time, no doubt, his rates will go up, and his English will get better.

I agree that having a driver is particularly comforting, and makes the trip easier. This does not mean that you forfeit your time to someone else's plan. This is totally different from tour package travelling, and it benefits the individual entrepreneur there in Peru.

Wasn't Peru terrific??? I want to go back!
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:27 AM

Thanks for sharing; good info to have.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Bookmarking. Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 10:34 AM

Thanks for sharing and we will be in Peru in July. Do you have Victor's email by any chance or any contact info? I would like to contact him directly and make all arrangements with him.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I don't have Victor's email address. You could try to call the hotel I mentioned above.

That was my old post from 2008! Thanks for digging it up. I re-read it and relived my trip.

Good luck planning for Peru!