Search

High Season/Low Season Peru/Ecuador

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Season/Low Season Peru/Ecuador

I live in Canada.

For travel to most destinations High Season is usually a week in March (when schools are on March Break), summer, which may start as early as mid June and usually ends by early September, we and the last two weeks of December.

I am currently working on an itinerary to Peru and Ecuador.
I notice that High Season prices in Peru and Ecuador are quite different than what I'm used to.

April and October are considered high season for travel to Peru/Ecuador, why is this the case?

Just curious, what information can fodorites provide.

Thanks

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 06:26 PM

Where are you finding this information? I don't really agree. I think of those months as being kind of a shoulder season in Peru. Outside the Galapagos, Ecuador doesn't really keep high seasons and low seasons, other than Christmas and Easter weeks. A few cities in Ecuador have a week when they celebrate a big fouding festival or something like that, and may raise hotel prices, but that's all.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM

That should be "founding" festival.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jeff_Costa_Rica, I have always considered April and October to be shoulder season. I was quite surprised to find out that this is not the case for a package Ecuador and Peru.

I got three different quotes for pakcages to Peru and Ecuador from travel agents. All the packages include a cruise in the Galapogas Islands. The Galapogas Islands cruise could be the reason for the different prices.

The packages were all between $5,500 and $6,000, and the price difference between high season and low season was between $150 to $175, depending on the tour operator. The price difference really isn't that much, I was just curious as the why the high season/low seasons are so different from what I'm used to.

The low season is Jan 8-21, Mar 1-12, May 1-June 30, Sept 3-30 and Nov 26-Dec 16. All other dates were classified as high season. (I've always considered Feb to be low season, but it's classified as high season).

I have read alot of information about Galapogas Islands and it is my understanding that April and May are the best time of year to visit. if this is correct, it contradicts how the tour operators classify low season/high season.

Nevertheless, I am not complaining about the minor difference in price. As I have already mentioned, I was just curious since the dates for high season/low season are so different from what I'm used to.