Notices

Hidden Gems

Jan 3rd, 2013, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Hidden Gems

My husband and I are looking for a quiet, relaxing (yet fun) place to stay somewhere in the Riviera Maya (that may be a long shot) or Central America. We are looking for a "hidden gem" - a place non-touristy, safe and it must have a beautiful beach! We are also on a budget and are considering just flying in and wandering around until we find a room for 5 nights. Any suggestions?
Jan 4th, 2013, 07:07 AM

There are probably some places along the beach in Tulum, Mexico that would meet your needs. I certainly wouldn't show up without a reservation though.

Belize doesn't have world class beaches. That said, there are some lovely areas. There are four main beach areas in Belize. From north to south, Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker, Hopkins, and Placencia.

There are also some smaller cayes that only have one or two small hotel/resorts on them. Perhaps, one of those would work. Southwater Caye is one.

With just five nights, I wouldn't just arrive somewhere and wander. Even the small country of Belize takes time to navigate.
Jan 5th, 2013, 08:10 PM

You might check out Puerto Morelos, just about 15 to 20 minutes south of the Cancun airport. It's a small fishing village with some cute little places to stay. It's very not touristy but has some good and inexpensive restaurants. Very safe and quiet; a great little town to walk around and hang out. We stayed at Villas Clarita ( villasclaritamexico.com ) and really enjoyed it (the beach is best in that immediate vicinity).

Oh, and the snorkeling is amazing there -- some say the best they've ever experienced.

Search this Thread