Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Help with the Yucatan area-then to PDC (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/help-with-the-yucatan-area-then-to-pdc-928975/)

BeniciaChris Mar 24th, 2012 01:20 PM

Help with the Yucatan area-then to PDC

My husband & I have a weeks timesahre in Isla Mujeres. There are 3 days inbetween our other resorts. Does anyone know how we can get to Merida from the ferry? We would like to stay 2 nights there & then does anyone know how to get to Uxmal for a night before going to PDC . We would prefer not to rent a car. Does anyone know of a guide that could take us. On TA I saw a guide named Enrique in the Uxmal area but I tried researching & couldn't find.
Any help would be appreciated Thanks in advance

hopefulist Mar 24th, 2012 01:48 PM

That's a whole lot of time on the road. For what it's worth (feel free to ignore me) I'd stay in Valladolid and visit Ek Balám and (maybe Chichén Itzá) and some area cenotes before heading back to the coast.

jette Mar 24th, 2012 07:00 PM

I agree with hope, that's a lot of road time. How about one or the other this trip? Merida is easy on the ADO but whether you drive or bus, if you want to spend any quality time in Merida, or any where else, you don't want to be so rushed IMO.

BeniciaChris Mar 26th, 2012 03:32 PM

Thank you for your answers. I guess it would be better to stay the 3 nights in Merida. We went to Chichen Itza the last time we were in PDC.
I tried to see if we could fly from Cancun to Merida & the flight s stopped in Mexico City!! Any direct flights there & which airlines. If we take a bus how long is the bus ride from Cancun to Merida & Merida to PDC??
Any reccomondations in Merida as where to stay? As I was reseaching 2 caught my eye Hotel Casa San Angel & Hotel Hacienda.
Thanks in advance for all the help-Chris
PS Would Ek Balam be worth a 3 night stay? Less driving both waqys?

hopefulist Mar 26th, 2012 04:52 PM

We really enjoyed Valladolíd. It has a charming zócalo and cathedral, a nice indoor market, and wonderful cenotes in the area for cooling off. We loved Ek Balám; I haven't been to Uxmal so can't compare. Loved Cobá, too, but not Chichén Itzá.

I enjoyed a quick weekend in Mérida - loved the beautiful cathedrals, the museum, and the live music. I'm not planning a return, though - just not much of a city person. I think it's 2 hours to Valladolíd and another 2 to Mérida from Cancún; Mérida to PDC, add another half hour or so.

In Valladolíd we loved Hotel Zací - great midrange place just around the corner from the bus station and a few blocks from the zócalo and the market. In Mérida I loved Las Arecas.http://lasarecas.com/

Loads of photos and ideas at the link below. Happy trails!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

kja Mar 26th, 2012 05:30 PM

> I guess it would be better to stay the 3 nights in Merida. We went to Chichen Itza the last time we were in PDC.

Rather than visiting Uxmal? If that's what you mean, do consider trying to find a way to get to Uxmal - it is quite different than Chichen Itza (and IMO, much more beautiful). I believe that it used to be possible to take a bus to Uxmal and back during a single day - check a few guide books for the details. Or, if you want to see more of the (amazing) Ruta Puuc, do consider renting a car (I know you said you don't want to).

You can visit Ek' Balam from Valladolid. I agree with hopefulist about Valladolid. I'm very glad I saw Ek' Balam - the relief there really is special - but if I had to choose between Ek' Balam and Uxmal, I'd go for Uxmal in a heartbeat. Even with the extra time and effort it took to get there!

Hope that helps.

Fra_Diavolo Mar 26th, 2012 05:51 PM

Another one who appreciated the fine relief sculptures at Ek Balam, but who believes the ruins at Uxmal and the Ruta Puuc to be the finest in the Yucatan.

BeniciaChris Mar 27th, 2012 10:30 AM

Thank you all so much. I got a travel book from our library so I could better see where things are. I think you are right about renting a car-my husband will be 79 when we go & sometimes thats an issue with car rental agencies.
It looks like one is best staying in different places as to enjoy each little area. Night one Villadoli-night 2 Merida-I too do nit like big cities & night 3 Uxmal with a stop in Rota Puuc on way to PDC. Thanks again

BeniciaChris Mar 27th, 2012 10:45 AM

Just looking again at maps How are Hws 184 & 307. Heading from Uxmal to PDC? My husband thought we would hhave to go back to 180. Any car agencies recd?? Can one get a car in downtown Cancun instead of going back to airport? Thanks again

hopefulist Mar 27th, 2012 02:32 PM

These maps are amazing - HIGHLY recommended. We found them to be more thorough in terms of lodging and eating options than the guidebooks and they gave us great directions and context for snorkeling, Maya sites, cenotes, etc. Great value and easy to pack along!
http://cancunmap.com/

kja Mar 27th, 2012 06:22 PM

> Night one Villadoli-night 2 Merida-I too do nit like big cities & night 3 Uxmal with a stop in Rota Puuc on way to PDC.

With this schedule, I think it would be beneficial to think through your priorities in advance.

Ek' Balam, the Cenotes Dzitnup, and the core of Valladolid could easily take the better part of a full day.

Merida - which is larger than many towns in the Yucatan, but would not be any means count as a "big" city by my standards - can easily take a couple of days. If you have any interest in Mayan art, visit the archeological museum - it has some remarkable pieces. And if you are in Merida on a weekend, you will find a festival atmosphere with music and dancing and lively markets.

For Uxmal, plan on about 4 hours to see the main sites, more if you want a more thorough or more leisurely visit. The other stops along the Ruta Puuc take from 1 to 2 hours each, not counting driving time.

Enjoy!

BeniciaChris Mar 28th, 2012 01:01 PM

Thank you so much for map info-I put it in my favorites for later. |Looks like I should trim things down. We will be in the Cancun area a little over 3 weeks & go back every 2-4 years. I am thinking I should just wait later for Merida & stay a whole week there. Would Valladolid be worth a 3 night stay-that way we could just take a 1st class bus & get guides in the area. Again Thanks

hopefulist Mar 28th, 2012 04:59 PM

For me it would - you could visit Ek Balám in the morning, then spend some time in town people watching, go to the market, maybe rent bikes, etc. 2nd full day take in some cenotes and hang out around town again unless you'd like to start the day with another visit to Chichén Itzá. You could consider a day trip to San Felipe on the gulf coast, too - very cute town and you can hire a boat to see the flamingos. Happy trails!

kja Mar 28th, 2012 05:33 PM

For another worthy day trip from Valladolid, consider Izamal.

And you don't necessarily need guides - there are local buses and minibuses that can get you most places an/around Valladolid.

emd3 Apr 2nd, 2012 08:02 AM

hopefullist, those are great pics, thanks for sharing them!

How did you book Hotel Zaci?

hopefulist Apr 2nd, 2012 09:09 AM

We just walked up and asked for a room. It's a big place so I don't think you'd have a problem.