Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Help with last minute details for Pacific Coast/Manuel Antonio (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/help-with-last-minute-details-for-pacific-coast-manuel-antonio-632962/)

abbbcd Jul 22nd, 2006 05:23 AM

Help with last minute details for Pacific Coast/Manuel Antonio

We are finally leaving for our first trip to Costa Rica next week and are very excited. Time to figure out the details and we greatly appreciate your input! We are staying three days at the Melia Playa Resort on the North Pacific coast and then we are going to Si Como No in Manuel Antonio for another three days. We plan to white water raft at least once and do a canopy tour. Any suggestions for quides and where to go? Other adventures other than the park? I have seen references to horseback riding and ATV's. What is the weather likley to be in both locations? Dinner ideas in Manuel Antonio? Packing ideas for a woman who always over packs and is limited to 25lbs? Please keep in mind that it has been a tough year and we are planning for a very romantic and adventure filled getaway without our teenagers! We will not have a car and will be taking two flights within the country. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

seawitch1 Jul 22nd, 2006 06:52 AM

I would definitely suggest horseback riding with Finca Valmy. We had a great time.

We ate at La Contina, El Avion and the Anaconda....mostly because we stayed at Costa Verde II and they are all close by. All the meals were very good.

abbbcd Jul 23rd, 2006 09:10 AM

Thank you seawitch1. Do you have any other suggestions?

glover Jul 24th, 2006 06:34 AM

The weather will likely be hot and humid in both places. As it is the green season, you may have some tropical rain some part of many days - usually not till late afternoon, often continuing into evening. So, get out early. Re packing: You will be SO GLAD you took less than 25 lbs! If you do a search, lots of folks have posted packing lists here. I spent 2 weeks in Panama not long ago. Packed it all in ebags.com convertible weekender bag ($59). Took a pair of zip off rainforest pants, two other lightweight drip dry pants, one pair of shorts, a few drip dryish Ts. A couple pairs of travel undies, bathing suit, collapsible travel umbrella, foldable rainjacket, a pair of walking sandals, and hiking shoes (wear em on plane). We did some laundry once. What a relief not to be dragging around SO MUCH STUFF. Since you're staying at resorts, maybe you'll actually want a rollable sundress or something (at the MOST) But really things are very casual.

Latitude9Lisa Jul 24th, 2006 07:57 AM

For a romantic dinner in Manuel Antonio, I suggest the Sunspot Grill at Makanda. http://www.makanda.com/EN/costarica/...ot_restaurant/

You can take a taxi to/from the restaurant. Generally, attire is casual (but no swimsuits for evening dining). The temps are 85 high, 75 low at this time of the year. Expect an afternoon rain shower daily, maybe for 15 minutes or a few hours. It really is refreshing and cools things a bit. For activities, Iguana Tours http://www.iguanatours.com/ is reputable for rafting, kayaking etc. Enjoy your vacation! Lisa in Manuel Antonio

batson57 Jul 24th, 2006 12:45 PM

Glover has it right. It's so nice to have only one bag that that's what I do now, whether I'm flying on Sansa or not. Go easy on the cosmetics and toiletries--that's where a lot of the weight is, and don't worry--you'll look as good as anybody else.

Carol

abb145 Jul 25th, 2006 05:25 AM

Thank you all. Any suggestions for which canopy tour to do in MA? As per the suggestion of someone on this forum we did purchase the $59 pack from ebags. It scares me to think that is all I can take but we will make due.

seawitch1 Jul 25th, 2006 07:57 AM

I know someone who did a canopy tour through Iguana Tours and they really enjoyed it. We did not do one in MA so I can't give first hand advice.

shillmac Jul 29th, 2006 10:21 PM

Hi Glover, Lisa, everyone. . .
Now I'm curious about this weekender bag. I've looked at the website and think it looks great. But am a little nervous about carrying around something that doesn't roll. . .that isn't an inconvenience? Or is it worth it to keep it lighter in weight?
We are in the market for a new bag or 2.

misha2 Aug 1st, 2006 03:58 AM

I second the Finca Valmy trip. It was wonderful!!! We also had a great (slightly expensive) guide for the park Alberto -- I found him through Fodors but don't rememeber his contact info off hand. I'll research it if you would like.

We had a wonderful lunch at the Cafe Milagro across the street from Si Como No.

Enjoy!!!

seawitch1 Aug 1st, 2006 06:39 AM

Hi shillmac - We purchased two of the weekender bags before our trip. It has straps so you can carry it on your back, which we did and found to be very easy to use.

By the way, your granddaughter is adorable.

Diane

shillmac Aug 1st, 2006 10:26 AM

Thank you, Diane. She's a lot of fun--grandparenthood is all it's cracked up to be! :)

I think I'll pick up a couple of those bags. They look like just the thing. I am quite attached to a large packpack type bag I purchased from Eddie Bauer a few years ago. It rolls, and we have used it for the "no luggage" portions of our trips. I want to compare how much the weekender bags hold to that one. Could be we just need one and continue to use my EB bag. Thanks for responding. Still want to see your photos. . would you direct me to them? Or did you already? The past weekend was a little nuts, but I don't think I ever got to see them.

Mixter603 Aug 2nd, 2006 11:06 AM

There is a fantastic Italian Restaurant in Quepos. They make wonderful brick oven pizza that is heated with a hell of a lot of wood. I can't remember the name of it but we ate there three times while we stayed in Manuel Antonia. Be sure to have coffee at Cafe Milagro. There is one on the road to Manuel Antonio and one in Quepos on the road out of town.

There is also an excellent Butterfly Garden on the Road to M.A. You can take a guided tour and they also offer night tours to see frogs and creepy crawleys. It was a lot of fun.

Hubby and I enjoyed paying a guide at the National Park (right before Tarcoles) and doing a bird watching walking tour. But, you would have to drive there.

Lots of humidity in M.A. when we were there in March of '05.

shillmac Aug 2nd, 2006 06:03 PM

Ditto on the humidity. . .June, 2006. I think it is a given! :)