Help with hotel close to the airport

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with hotel close to the airport

We are leaving next week and were wondering which hotel to pick up for our first day. We arrive at noon at San jose Airport and will head towards Arenal the second day. Which one would you recommend?
- Hotel Bougainvillea
- Las Orquideas Inn
- Buena Vista
- Vista del Valle Plantation
- La Rosa de America

Merci - Elise
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:40 PM

Vista del Valle, was a very pleasant experience. We stayed there once at the end of our trip. Very relaxing, excellent food. And the owners were so hospitable.
But it is in a much higher price range than the other hotels you mention. If you are only going to be there for the afternoon and evening, I just don't know that it would be worth the exra expense.
I had heard of all the others, except the Buena Vista, it seems to be a place I would want to consider.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 07:23 PM

My family recently stayed at Las Orquideas Inn and was favorably impressed. Large room, friendly staff, excellent breakfast, with omelettes cooked to order, included, nice pool.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:38 AM

If you arrive at noon, why not head straight up to Arenal? It's not a bad drive at all. We came the other way--Arenal to the airport, and it took our driver 2-1/2 hours. He was not a speed demon. It is a gorgeous drive between San Ramon and La Fortuna.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:15 PM

Hello,
If you decide to stay in San Jose, please check out this hotel. We loved it. Its in a quiet neighborhood with burger king and mc donald's up the street a park nearby, and gorgeous rooms. They have a shuttle to and from the airport, and we could find nothing wrong with this hotel at all. It was the starting point to our first trip to Costa Rica, and I am not sure if all rooms are, but we got a gorgeous suite for ours on the 4th floor. Heres the link http://www.hotelpalmareal.com:8080/about.jsp
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:26 PM

I agree with Rufus:
If you arrive at noon,just head out for Arenal, you will have daytime driving and lots of nice places to see along the way.
If you are a little more tired that night..then after a good sleep when you wake up you are at Arenal.
Oh yes,
The first four hotels on your list are all great, I do not know about La Rosa de America.
Have a nice holiday
Percy
Percy
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. This is truly appreciated. Percy/ Rufus, Since we will be there for 12 days, we have a bit of time not to be rushed and I was thinking that we would stay in Central Valley the first day and first thing the next morning, travel to arenal and stop on our way there at Poas, Dokka Cafe plantation and La Paz Waterfall. I am not sure where I want to stay in Arenal, choide between Montana de Fuego or Arenal Paraiso. After reading the postings on this fabulous forum, I am not sure I should spend the money and stay at Tabacon. Your thoughts?
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 06:01 AM

Elise, since you state that you are headed to La Paz the next day. Did you check out the Peace Lodge for your first night?