Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

help with getting from to Oaxaca to Merida via bus- w/ stops, of course!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys have been sooo helpful in helping me plan out this 3 month trip of mine and you've already saved me from wasting my time (i.e. Guadalahara, Acapulco..). I'm back for more advice

I am currently in Oaxaca and will be staying for a few more days (which gives me-hopefully- enough time to plan my next few moves here...).

I would like to make my way towards San Christobal next. I really don't like extra long bus rides and can't really afford to jet all over the place. Sleep on a bus- pfffttt fuggetaboutit! I'm thinking of making a stop in Salina Cruz (or...? any suggestions of a good stopping point?). It doesn't have to be uber interesting- I just want to feel safe and somewhat welcome wherever I go and spend the night. If you tell me to just suck it up and go straight from Oaxaca to San Christobal here, I might do it.

Then San Christobal. It looks like I have more options if I go to Tuxtla and then switch buses to San Christobal- which is fine. Spend a few days here. Any recommendations on what to see around here?

I'll then go to Palenque- not a long bus ride here. I know I want to see Bonampak and Yaxchilian. I'll spend maybe 2 or 3 days here?

Now, my big question is Palenque to Merida... Where can I stop between these two places??

Mucho Gracias in advance- I really do appreciate your time! You guys are really great!
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 01:30 AM
kja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Then San Christobal. It looks like I have more options if I go to Tuxtla and then switch buses to San Christobal- which is fine."

The distance between them is not great and, IME, San Cristobal de las Casas is MUCH more charming that Tuxtla. I think there are regular vans that offer transportation between these two cities, but I don't know the details. I'm sure they are covered in any decent guidebook, or you could ask at a local tourist-info office.

Re: Palenque -- as already noted elsewhere, you need at least 2 nights just to see the magnificent ruins and museum.

"question is Palenque to Merida... Where can I stop between these two places?? " -- i enjoyed Campeche.

Do you not have a guide book for the area? Seriously -- get one! Flying by the seat of your pants might seem fun, but you are at the mercy of people who might / might not give advice that suits YOUR interests. And really, do you want to learn, once home, that you missed a truly magnificent place simply because you didn't know about it? We've given you hints, Fodor's web-site is full of all sorts of information, you have access to a wealth of info... Take advantage of it.