Help with CR itinerary adjustments

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done more research, and re-prioritized for our 2-week trip (14 nights) in July-August. I have a few loose ends and am looking for feedback!

The plan (with possible activities):

1-day Pacuare whitewater rafting trip

~4 nights Arenal Observatory Lodge
Cano Negro day trip
hot springs
volcano hike
waterfall hike

~3 nights Hacienda Guachipelin, Rincon de la Vieja
canyoning tour
horseback riding
hiking
spa

1-2 nights San Gerardo de Dota
hiking, birdwatching

~3 nights central Pacific beach (Dominical/Uvita)
possible overnight in jungle or waterfall camp?
explore different beaches
guided hike @ Hacienda Baru?

last night @ Orquideas Inn, Alajuela, flight out at 3 pm

My questions:

1) Would it make more sense logistically to put the rafting trip on the first day, before heading up to Arenal, or stop for an overnight in the area on the way between Rincon de la Vieja and San Gerardo de Dota?

2) I'm undecided about exactly how to allocate days - should I take a day from Arenal and add it elsewhere?

3) Possible hotels for the beach portion are Hacienda Baru, Pacific Edge, Cristal Ballena and Balcon de Uvita. Any thoughts on which has the best location in terms of access to beaches and activities, value, view, or comfort with respect to night-time temps?

I think that's it for now - thanks for your opinions and ideas!
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM

I would add the river tubing while at Hacienda Guachipelin, it was a blast!

It is a fully packed trip, I would want to eliminate 1 stop and spend a few more days at 2 of the others. You will spend a lot of time transitioning/traveling.
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:52 PM

Great locations! You do need a couple of adjustments to minimize your transfer times and distances. I'd put the San Gerardo de Dota trip at the beginning while you are still in the SJO area. It is 2.5-3 hours south of the city.

Hotel Savegre de los Montanas is one of our favorite hotels in the country. For birding, e-mail ahead and book Marino Chacon. If he can't do it, ask for Melvin, also very good. You need 2 nights here, but no more. First afternoon and full day next day, plus a piece of the morning on day 3 will be a nice portion of time. The birding is phenomenal, and quetzales are easily spotted, very near the lodge.

Then you're looking at 5.5 hours to Arenal, 3 nights (so you can add a night at Savegre to make 2 nights there).

Arenal to Rincon de la Vieja--4 hours. You COULD do this one in 2 nights. But 3 is good for really seeing and "doing" the area.

Dominical--long way from RdlV! Thinking about 6 hours. Then another 4.5-5 back to SJO.

Now if you can fly out of Liberia, you could order it this way:

Pacuare
Savegre
Arenal
Dominical
Rincon

Might help a little, but probably not that much.

Haven't done the Pacuare yet, but after all I hear about it, I don't think I'd replace it with another white water tour. That area is quite pristine and if the dam goes in, the white water will go out. It is one of the top in the world for experienced rafters. And yet, we've "put it off" another year! I'd love to do the 1 or 2 overnight at the jungle lodge. Sounds so cool!

Hope this helps a bit! By the way, not sure how you are planning to get around, but we (twice) have had great luck leaving luggage at a hotel and backpacking to Savegre on a public bus. All you need is a taxi to the MUSOC station in San Jose, pay about $5 for the bus ride. They will let you out at km marker 81 and someone from the hotel will be there to pick you up ($10 transfer down into the valley). Very easy. Beats having to drive through San Jose!

But you'll already be staying in town for your white water tour, right? Getting out of town once you are in there isn't so bad. Especially to Highway #2, leading to San Gerardo.
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - my flight is set, so I have to start and end at SJO. But I think it does make sense to keep the drives shorter - so now I'm thinking:
Arenal (3 days)
Rincon (3 days+1 travel)
Central valley (rafting) (1 day)
San Gerardo (2 days)
Dominical (3 days)

Anyone else have any thoughts about hotels/locations around the Dominical/Uvita area?
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM

We stayed at Pacific Edge a couple years ago for about 4 nights. We loved it. But its name comes from the fact that it's set up on a ridge above and back a dirt road from the main drag there. Maybe a 5 minute drive down (I've forgotten) we were always stopping to look for birds in the trees along the way. But on the other hand you have about a 270 degree view of the ocean from up there! And they have an observation tower and a nice little pool and casual outodoor dining room/bar. The cabins are rustic but well thought out. Nice porch in front of each one. We enjoyed the owners Suzy and George, who are former sailors and have been all over the world, but not everyone has. .

Hacienda Baru probably has easier "beach access." It's on the beach side of the main drag. But on the other hand it's north of where the road is good. (The road south from Dominical is fabulous - the road between Dominical and Quepos is horrible. At least a few years ago Hac Baru was maybe a mile or so ? north of Dominical on the dirt bumpy road. We hired a guide and went out on the reserve there and really enjoyed the property. Tried to stay there but they were booked. Think their accommodations are probably similarly rustic as Pac Edge . ...... Sorry, don't know anything about Crystal Ballena. We really enjoyed the Dominical area though. Great driving the nice road south and exploring. Not that many folks around when we were there in May.
Nice restaurant there called La Parcela(sp?)
Old May 11th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

After consideration, I think we need to drop one destination in order to have enough time to explore the coast. My husband thinks that Rincon de lab Vieja is the obvious choice to cut, since it is the furthest drive. The days gained would be added to Dominical/Uvita area, and possibly to allow an overnight rafting trip rather than the 1-day.

Will I regret missing Rincon de la Vieja?

I'm leaning toward basing ourselves at Balcon de Uvita and using the car to see Hacienda Baru, the beaches around Uvita, and possibly even driving down to Sierpe for a day boat/hiking trip into Corcovado. Has anyone done this? I was looking at Gaviotas de Osa - anyone have experience with their tours/guides?

Finally, is it possible to stay in San Gerardo de Dota the night before our 3 pm flight home? It looks like maybe a 3 hour drive, but I understand the traffic around San Jose is bad.
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM

My son lives in uvita so we go alot before he built his house we would stay at costa paraiso

www.costa-paraiso.com

If you check with Sonia at the Uvita information Center she can help you with alot of your tours

www.uvita.info

Also if you want a good ATV tour check out
www.jungleatv.com

couple of other places to check out to stay at are
www.bjcabins.com
www.unitytreecr.com

we have never stay at them but look nice.
Don Lulo's horseback riding to the waterfall was great also

In Uvita check out Andy's Burger Shack for the best hamburgers & fries in costa rica the pizza is pretty good too. Have a great trip
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:01 PM

No, you're okay with the new plan. Rincon is a fun place to visit, but it is rather remote (from the rest of your itin) and you'll have the opportunity to do some hiking, ziplining, horseback riding in other places. Much of RdlV is thermal, so Arenal will take care of that aspect for you! Good idea, I think. . .
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM

I think you will enjoy your new plan better. It will give you some time to relax and explore the beach area.
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I sent in reservation requests for the first half of the trip tonight... Now I just have to figure out the beach part. A few more questions:

1) The website for Balcon de Uvita no longer working, and I read on Lonely Planet Thorntree that their restaurant got taken over... Does anyone know if they are still renting cabinas, or did they go out of business?

2) I'm thinking about doing either a jungle overnight at Hacienda Baru, OR a waterfall overnight at Casa de Piedra. Any experiences with either?
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Well, I couldn't book the Arenal Observatory Lodge for the dates I wanted, so I'm adjusting the itinerary once again! We'll be rafting first, which will save 2 days of car rental at least! And we'll have to spend one of our 4 nights in the Fortuna area at a different lodging. I'm looking at Finca Luna Nueva, south of the volcano area... The grounds look beautiful, and the food sounds great!