Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Help with 7 week itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/help-with-7-week-itinerary-1078176/)

TristanR Nov 14th, 2015 02:30 PM

Help with 7 week itinerary

Hello,

I was just wanting to ask for some advice on a planned itinerary I have for a 7 week trip through Guatemala and Mexico. I apologise if these questions have been asked before, but I have been having trouble finding specific answers.

About me: I am 25. I am going to be in Guatemala/Mexico for ~5 months next year, from March 28 to August 19. I fly into Guatemala City and out of Cancun. The first 3 months of my trip are on a project in the jungle of northern Guatemala, and after that I want to explore Guatemala and Mexico. I'm really interested in seeing as many archaeological sites as I can, but am also interested in exploring colonial cities and experiencing new cultures.

I imagine I'll have 5-6 weeks in Mexico after I've explored Guatemala. I plan on visiting San Cristobal first, then heading up to Pelenque, across to Chetumal, back to Valladolid, across to Merida, then up to Isla Holbox (whale sharks!) before flying out of Cancun.

Is 5-6 weeks enough to accomplish these sorts of distances? I have never been to Mexico so am unsure if I'm biting off too much. Also, I have been wondering if busing to Puebla/Mexico City for a few days to a week would be doable? I would have to backtrack back to Cancun though.

My budget is a bit up in the air at the moment, although I hope to have about 5,000USD for the 7 week period, sleeping in budget accommodation.

Any advice/suggestions/comments would be hugely appreciated.

kja Nov 14th, 2015 05:29 PM

Depending on your pace of travel, you should be able to make the stretch from San Cristobal to Cancun in 3 weeks or so. My goals were also archeological sites and colonial cities, with a bit of nature thrown in. I traveled HARD, but had a great trip, using the following itinerary:

I flew into Cancun and went directly to Puerto Morelos for 1 night (snorkel, etc.). On to Tulum for 2 nights (Sian Ka’an, Tulum’s Mayan ruins, and a Hidden Worlds cenote tour). To Valladolid for 1 night (Chichen Itza on the way; Ek’ Balam and the Cenotes Dzitnup next day). To Izamal for 1 night in a hacienda (which has since closed). Merida for 2 nights. Picked up a rental car to visit Uxmal and the Ruta Puuc, and also the Loltun cave, with a night along the way. Then one night in Celestun for the flamingos. I returned the rental car in Merida and left immediately for 2 nights in Campeche (with time in Edzna). On to Calakmul for 2 nights. Then 3 nights in Palenque, followed by 2 nights in
San Cristobal de Las Casas (including a tour to San Juan Chamula and Zinacantan). An finally on to Tuxtla Gutierrez for 2 nights (including stops in Chiapa de Corzo and the Canon del Sumidero). I flew out of Tuxtla Gutierrez.

Hope that helps!

hopefulist Nov 14th, 2015 05:51 PM

Does this mean you're only planning 1-2 weeks for the rest of Guatemala?

baldone Nov 15th, 2015 08:20 AM

Currently, Volaris has flights in August that are stupid cheap. Like under $30 US from TGZ to MEX, and about $45 US from MEX to MID. With taxes. Can't do a bus for those prices!

baldone Nov 15th, 2015 08:40 AM

So, (stating the obvious), that would allow you to do Chiapas, DF/Puebla, then on to Yucatan, without a couple of grueling bus trips.