HELP! Things to do in Belize for not so much $$?

Sep 8th, 1999, 12:46 PM
Aleigha Barrera

HELP! Things to do in Belize for not so much $$?

My husband and I met two years ago on an archaeological dig in Belize and were married 8 mos later. We haven't had a chance to go on a honeymoon yet and have decided to go back to Belize over Thanksgiving holiday (Nov 25 to Dec 1). I have been to Tikal but Rick hasn't so we thought we could go there first and spend the last days vegging on the islands. The problem is our flight arrives in Belize around 2:20 and the last flight to Flores is at 2:30. I really don't want to stay in Belize city for a night and I'm afraid that if we took a bus we wouldn't make it in time to cross the Guatemalan border before it closes. We are working with a limited budget so we thought we might have to skip Tikal and go somewhere else (like Placencia..I've heard the beaches are beautiful). Basicly we want to have a good time and not spend too much money so if anyone has any suggestions for an interesting itenerary it would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 9th, 1999, 08:03 AM
rbo

Aleigha:
Do you like birds , nature and simple life? I would recommend CROOKED TREE SANCTUARY. It is so close to Belize City. I wouldn't stay in Belize City. If you have to then try the COLTON HOUSE. You can also take ferry to San Pedro (very unexpensive) and find some good and cheap accomodation there.
There are no real beaches in Belize but marine life is exceptional and snorkeling fantastic. If you need any more info on Crooked tree or anything regarding Belize just let me know.
RBO

Nov 10th, 1999, 09:16 AM
Jim

You might want to take a flight to Ambergris Caye and get a moderately priced hotel there. Later if you have the funds available, you could fly to Tikal from Ambergris via Tropic Air.

A moderate priced immaculately clean hotel not too far from town (15 min walk) is Coconuts Caribbean Hotel. http://www.ambergriscaye.com/coconuts Breakfast is included in your room rate and so are the use of bicycles during daylight hours. Large nicely decorated rooms right on the beach and a nice beachbar on the premises. E-mail is: mailto:"[email protected]"

Incicentally, the beaches are white sand and are great, but the turtle grass grows in the water near shore which doesn't make for very pleasant standing or wading in to swim. This condition is because of the lack of wave action due to the fact that the barrier reef is only 1/2 mile offshore.

Good luck on your vacation...Jim

Search this Thread