Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   help sending email from US to Mexican email address (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/help-sending-email-from-us-to-mexican-email-address-1004535/)

Nepheline Jan 31st, 2014 09:53 AM

help sending email from US to Mexican email address

We just returned from a week in Playa del Carmen. I'll be posting a brief trip report shortly. We'd like to stay in touch by email with a young man who drove us around several times. He gave us his hotmail account address but emails I send from my gmail account won't go through. I tried adding a ".mx" to his address and resent it but it still wont' go through. Does anyone here have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Gail

Jeff_Costa_Rica Jan 31st, 2014 10:18 AM

The most likely explanation is that either you wrote down something incorrect or he gave you something incorrect. Some miscommunication probably took place there.

Nepheline Jan 31st, 2014 11:23 AM

Actually, he wrote it down for me and it's a pretty basic address. I googled the topic and found one reference to having ".mx" and will continue to search for suggestions, but thought someone on this particular forum may have had a similar experience.
Thanks for your input, in any case.

suze Jan 31st, 2014 12:45 PM

Either .mx is or isn't part of the actual email address. It's not something you'd just tack on because the person is in Mexico.

Some email addresses have it, some don't, is what I'm trying to say.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Jan 31st, 2014 03:30 PM

Yes. I've had many similar experiences in exchanging e-mail addresses with people. It is almost always the case that the E-mail address is incorrect.

Nepheline Feb 3rd, 2014 08:05 AM

Update: the first time I tried to email him, I sent it without the "mx" and it was returned, so I tried adding it. Gmail tried a bunch of times and finally gave up using the mx address.
However, we received an email from the young man on Friday night (his address did NOT have the mx) and I clicked on "reply" and sent him another message. It appears to have gone through, or at least wasn't returned. One of my theories about the failure of the earlier messages to be accepted relates to my address not being in his address book, which may have been overcome by his sending an email to my address. I haven't received a response yet, but I think he doesn't have his own computer and has to go somewhere to download his emails. We'll see...........
thanks for all the ideas.

suze Feb 3rd, 2014 08:32 AM

<One of my theories about the failure of the earlier messages to be accepted relates to my address not being in his address book>

Nope, doesn't work like that.

Was the address you received the email from *exactly* the same as the one you were trying to use before?

Nepheline Feb 4th, 2014 11:51 AM

yes

Nepheline Feb 5th, 2014 06:09 AM

We have just received two more messages from him. So I think we're all set.
Suze, I'll just add that the reason I thought getting an email from him would open the dam is because of some type of spam-filter on his Hotmail account. At my workplace, we occasionally have communication issues with other offices that have very aggressive spam filters and the only way to get messages through is to add our address to the recipient's address book, which I think may be indirectly accomplished when they send us an email first.
In any event, I appreciate the suggestions from all and think we've got the communications mastered.
Thanks,
Gail

Stewbear Feb 12th, 2014 03:30 PM

It's the World Wide Web. Should not be a problem if you have it correct. Country means nothing.