Search

HELP! Overwhelmed by Costa Rica Trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Overwhelmed by Costa Rica Trip

Hi all!

I am planning my first self-funded vacation with my boyfriend to Costa Rica. We're flying to Liberia from Dec 24th-Jan 5th (13 days). I am so incredibly overwhelmed by the process of planning this, I dont have any connection to Costa Rica and am only now finding out how expensive it really is.

We need to spend an average of $60 per night on accommodations (we can stay somewhere nice and then stay in some hostels). I would also like to plan a very authentic trip and avoid spending much time in tourist locations. We need advice about things to see that are off the beaten path or things that locals enjoy. I am fluent in Spanish.

-Our original plan is to rent a car and head east from Liberia and go to Rincon de la vieja and then to Arenal. From there we thought of going back to the coast and heading south down to Montezuma and then back up to the airport to fly out.

-Or we could travel to Montezuma from Arenal and drive up the coast to Liberia where we fly out on the 5th.

We are open to suggestions but we planned the trip this way because we thought we would need to drive since it seems cheaper and less difficult.

Does anyone have good suggestions about activities/ beaches/ towns that are less overrun with tourists? What are things that we cant miss seeing?
What is a great thing to do on Christmas and New Years?
Is there a way to fly to some destinations and drive back, leaving our car at the airport? Where can we get info about flying?
Is there it too much driving to drive from liberia to arenal, later to Montezuma and the up the coast back to Liberia in 13 days?
Where should we rent a car?
Any tips for traveling on a budget?
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 12:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you have a guidebook? I find that can be the most helpful way to plan a trip in an area you are not familiar with. You can fill in with internet/website information, but a decent guidebook can sort out most of what you ask about.

Also (if you have not already) go to Trip Advisor, to the forums for the various Costa Rican cities and towns you are interested in.

As far a tips for traveling on a budget. Using the bus rather than car rental is one. Eat from the markets and grocery stores, not at restaurants. If you drink alcohol, buy your own, don't drink in bars.

Speaking Spanish will be very helpful! So you're way ahead of many with that!!
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 02:45 PM

Just a heads up, we love the Arenal area, but it is a tourist destination. There's tons to do there, but if you are looking for more off the beaten path, it might not be your kind of place.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 07:08 AM

check out la Carolina lodge. authentic and reasonable. a driver can take you there. llanos de cortez waterfall nearby.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 09:20 AM

I can't help much as far as accommodations. But I will tell you that you need to book this as soon as possible.

Christmas week is pretty crazy. The entire country goes to the beach between Christmas and New Year's. This year, New Year's Day is on a Friday, so we are seeing folks extend through that Sunday. Some locals go to the other popular areas (Arenal, Monteverde, etc.) too. But these regions are more affected by the lack of space at the beaches. International travelers will go to the non beach areas until space opens up at the beach.

The lower end of the market sells out first. So you really need to jump on this.

I'm sorry that I am not more encouraging. These are just the facts of traveling at such a busy time.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can offer any further advice.

Warm Regards,

Pat Hewitt
Travel Professional
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 02:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
pat: advertising isn't allowed on Fodors.

Even advertising hidden in helpful posts.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 03:34 PM

Pat is a well respected poster that has been offering advice here for years, and several people have used his services to rave reviews. I think he's merely offering help, not providing a link to his website or advertising. It seems unnecessary to keep the fact that he's a travel professional a secret. And he gives really wise advice!
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 03:42 PM
RAC

Yes, Pat gives away his advice for free on these forums, and has done it for years. Disclosing that he's a travel consultant doesn't really corrupt anything that's going on here.

Pat's one of the best contributors we have for CR.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 03:42 PM
RAC

Yes, Pat gives away his advice for free on these forums, and has done it for years. Disclosing that he's a travel consultant doesn't really corrupt anything that's going on here.

Pat's one of the best contributors we have for CR.