Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Help - Nicaragua with two kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/help-nicaragua-with-two-kids-811157/)

txtree Oct 21st, 2009 03:17 AM

Help - Nicaragua with two kids

Hi all, we are planning a trip to Nicaragua at the end of the year with our two sons (ages 9 and 7). I'd appreciate your advice. We are going to be in Granada for 4 days and SJDS for 4 days.

What day trips from Granada do you most recommend (especially for kids of that age)?

It's a short visit - what are the sights we absolutely should not miss? Restaurants? Markets?

Also, can anyone recommend a driver to shuttle us from one place to the other?

Thanks!

qwovadis Oct 21st, 2009 05:14 AM

www.hotelcolonialgranada.com

Always get a driver MGA airport pickup from there...

chgeeb Oct 21st, 2009 05:54 AM

I forget the exact name of the place, but a short drive away is a "rainforest volcano", very cool!
You take these huge trucks up this mountain, through a rainforest, can buy delicious coffee halfway up, and it's a GORGEOUS walk around this place...I highly recommend it!

chgeeb Oct 21st, 2009 05:54 AM

Sorry, I THINK it's Volcano Mombacho?

Linda137 Oct 24th, 2009 11:36 AM

Does Nicaragua have official cabs? What does one look for to tell the licensed cabs from independent drivers offering a ride? We will be visiting Managua, Granada and San Juan del Sur next month.

We will be visiting Mombacho and Masaya the same day. I understand they are very different but both should be enjoyable depending upon ones interests. Mombacho involves hiking/walking which might be fun for kids.

Rudynica Oct 26th, 2009 09:45 AM

There are plenty of things to do fro the whole family in Nicaragua, using Granada as a base will be the best option. Some of the things you can do are visiting the Mombacho Volcano, here you can do a nice walk through the clod forest trail where you will be able to enjoy the flora and fauna of th place as well as some beatiful views of the city of Granada, Lake Nicaragua, Apoyo Lagoon and Las Isletas (If weather permits), this tour can easily be combined with a zipline tour, i am sure the kids will love ot as well as you.

Another otion will be going to the Masaya Volcano, Masaya arts and crafts market, the town of Catarina and San Juan de Oriente, the kids will enjoy the experience of visiting an active volcano.

Las Isletas on Lake Nicaragua are beatiful, here you can take the kids to visit the fort and the monkey island, feeding the monkeys is the main attraction.

There is plenty more to do fro more ideas visit www.nicaraguaescapade.weebly.com they will help you out arrange anything you need in you vacation

txtree Oct 27th, 2009 01:21 PM

Thank you very much for your great ideas.

itsjustbigjim Nov 10th, 2009 04:29 PM

From Granada, an afternoon visit to Mombacho Volcano National park is a must see, don't go up in the morning as it is nearly always covered with clouds and visibility poor. Also nearby is Laguna de Apoyo. Check out www.nicaraguavolcanoranch.com. Your kids will love the excellent American breakfast at Kathy's Waffle House in Granada. You asked about a driver or guide. Highly recommend Orvin Dublon, [email protected], he is bilingual and will take excellent care of you. He is physically located in the travel office next to Hotel Alhambra on the main plaza. Tell him Jimmy sent you !

jamamac Nov 11th, 2009 08:28 AM

Just wanted to give you a heads up about the beach in SJDS. Beach is not attractive. Must get water taxi or other ground transportation to nearby beaches. Cannot give any recommendations on beaches, was only there for 1/1/2 days. Other people on this forum could probably help you out there.

fitzpatrick512 Jan 3rd, 2010 11:37 AM

Playa Gigante and the surrounding area is you best bet for beautiful beaches.

Plenty of places to stay and some good restaurants.

There's a few websites if you Google search with info, gigantenicaragua.com has a lot of useful info and great photos of the area.