Help, need info on Belize, Guatemala and area!

Old Jan 14th, 1997, 10:09 AM
Jolie Novak

Help, need info on Belize, Guatemala and area!

I stayed in an apt. attached to a guide's home on Ambergris Caye, San Pedro off the coast of Belize. The guide was super knowledgeable and cool! His name is Daniel Nunez and his wife, Elodia runs the apts. We went on amazing tours with him even to Altun Ha Mayan ruin back on the mainland (by boat). If you go inland towards Western Belize do not miss Pook's Hill!! It is located a few miles from Belmopan, the capital of Belize in the heart of the jungle. It is a bit pricey for backpackers ($90/night), but absolutely worth it if it is the only splurging you do down there! Watch out for the Spirit of Place web catagory article I wrote on it called "The Tao of Pook, Too" If you need more info. email me! Pook's Hill phone # is 5010812017

Old Jan 14th, 1997, 10:56 AM
Jolie Novak

Here is the write-up I did on Pook's Hill with the information of how to get in contact with the owners...

In the western jungles of Belize you'll find guest lodges galore but only one Pook's Hill. The reason is simple: Pook's has charming accommodations, stringent environmental policies, jungle aplenty,
and it's cheap.

Named for a magical Rudyard Kipling story, Pook's is the brainchild of South African expats Vicky and Ray Snaddon, who opened the lodge last spring. Centered around a centuries-old Mayan plaza, the property sits on some 300 acres of untamed jungle, rich with birds and wildlife. The palm-thatched cabanas, large and fully screened, have amenities you don't always expect in the wilds of Central America, including private bathrooms and hot water. Enjoy simple, locally inspired cooking in the lantern-lit dining room before heading to a thatched bar overlooking the forest canopy.

Activities range from tubing and swimming in jade-green springs to horseback riding, hiking, and bird-watching. Best of all, in the dense bush surrounding the property, you can explore water-filled caves where shards of Mayan pottery await discovery. Pook's Hill, Box 14, Belmopan, Belize, tel. 501/8-12017, fax 501/8-22948. 8 cabanas with private bath. Doubles from $90.

Old Jan 16th, 1997, 03:18 PM
Jo Buyske

I went to Ambergris Caye a few years ago with another couple, then travelled inland to the Maya Mountain Lodge--can't recommend the latter enough, with lovely huts, great meals, access (walking distance)to a small town, and lots of trips available, especially to Mayan ruins and Guatemala. Have a blast!
Jo

Old Jan 21st, 1997, 12:06 AM
Dave Moore

Alright, thanks for your informative reply. Alhough my friend just told me that he is going to need some more time to get ready, therefore we cannot go around March and April... What would be the best time of year to go down to that area?
He is also kind of leary about just going down and backpacking it around. Is it very hard to travel from town to town? What is the crime like?
Any other information you would like to throw my way, feel free to.
thanks.

Old Feb 10th, 1997, 03:41 PM
Eleanore

Have to agree with Jolie re: Daniel Nunez who runs tours out of Ambregris Caye. We went there last March, weather great at that time, and took 2 tours with Daniel. One to Alta Hun, the other to the inland forest where the Howler Monkeys are. That trip is an all day-er, yet worth the time. Always ask for Daniel personally to take you on these trips as he is most knowledgeable. He can spot tiny bats on tree trunks as his boat rushes past and when he stops so you can enjoy them, you waste time trying to see what he spotted so quickly. Stay out of Belize City, it is most dangerous. Even the natives are afraid to be out at night. Ambregris Caye is quite safe, natives very kind and walking around at nite is quite pleasant. Enjoy.