Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Help! Mexico City airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/help-mexico-city-airport-350575/)

mayte Aug 22nd, 2003 04:42 AM

Help! Mexico City airport

I am currently make plans for the end of December to fly from Monterray to Cancun. I cannot find any non-stop flights-seems all go through Mexico City. How is landing and taking off at this airport? Is it difficult to get around? Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Dude Aug 22nd, 2003 06:02 AM

Landing and taking off are about the same as any other airport. The approach is usually over the city. Since it is such a big place you are flying over a lot of buildings for a while. Takeoff roll is a little bit longer because of the altitude density. Anyway, since you are flying from Monterrey things will be pretty easy for you. You will arive at the national terminal and not have to mess with customs or immigration. If they already have printed your boarding pass look at a monitor and find your flight. If not go to one of your airline's counter and get your pass. One thing that is a little strange is that they have a holding gate. In other words they will send several different flights to this gate before they have a gate open for your flight. If this happens to you just go up and ask and they will tell you where your gate will be, or ask you to wait a little longer. Like most airporst there are shops and restaurants in the waiting areas. I don't think you will find this airport particularily difficult. Especially because you are on a national flight.

mayte Aug 22nd, 2003 12:50 PM

dude thanks a bunch, that helps alot-one more question-I cannot speak any Spanish-how much trouble will I have if I need to ask questions(I know shame on me-only been going to Mexico for 15 years now-its about time I learned). I will be traveling alone and hubby is leary about me going into Mexico City airport. Thanks again!

SusanInToronto Aug 22nd, 2003 03:03 PM

We've been through the Mexico City a few times. It's big and sometimes the gate numbers change, but that's about it. You shouldn't have a problem with language - many people speak English.

Dude Aug 23rd, 2003 06:31 AM

As Susan says you shouldn't have a problem. Most airline personel that you will deal with speak English. If you end up staying in the secure area I don't think you will find the airport much different than any other major airport. If the weather is clear enough it is pretty amazing flying into Mexico City, between the size of the City and the volcanoes off in the distance it is quite the sight. Have a good trip.

mayte Aug 23rd, 2003 04:15 PM

thanks all-I feel much better about this.

RobertSDF Aug 25th, 2003 05:42 AM

Good advice--Mexico City's airport is not difficult. However, Aeromexico, Mexicana, Aerocaribe and Aviacsa all offer direct service with no change of plane (with 1 or 2 stops) and Mexicana offers non-stop service. (you can see all the availability on Travelocity or on each airlines website). I have often found the best fares on Aviacsa, which is Monterrey based. Very good service with good meals and free bar service.
Enjoy!