Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Help in planning a trip to Yucatan (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/help-in-planning-a-trip-to-yucatan-69082/)

Wylie Apr 19th, 2000 09:21 AM

Help in planning a trip to Yucatan

My wife and are planning on going to Yucatan Peninsula in September or October for about 10 days, using Playa del Carmen as a base camp. We're planning on squeezing in a few days/nights at Cozumel, and visiting Chichen-Itza, Isla Mujeres, Coba. Anyone have any other suggestions? Also, and maybe more importantly, is the weather this time of year questionable enough to warrant puting this trip off a few months? Or does the rainy season simply mean more frequent afternoon showers? And is the heat unbearable? Thanks!

Susan Apr 19th, 2000 01:24 PM

We spent a week on Isla Mujeres in October '98 (the week before Canadian Thanksgiving). We had been to the Yucatan a few times before, but never to Isla and we were just interested in a week of R&R. We were one week before the hurricane - it was fine the first couple of days, but we did get some really heavy rain near the end. The street outside our hotel would flood - we'd wade across the street for breakfast (the water being up to my knees!) and we'd watch the water recede. One day it rained all day. My husband says he wouldn't go back again at that time of year. I probably would - sure it's hurricane season, but that doesn't mean there will definitely be a hurricane. If that's the only time you can go, go for it. You may just get those afternoon showers. <BR> <BR>In terms of where to go, all of those places are great. Enjoy yourself!

C.Clark Apr 19th, 2000 01:40 PM

Wylie, try to spend at least a few days in Merida. Definately was the highlight of oour trip!!! <BR>

Sandy Apr 19th, 2000 04:41 PM

Have you tried this message board? You'll find lots of great info on the Yucatan. <BR>www.cancunandrivieramaya.com

dan woodlief Apr 19th, 2000 06:35 PM

If you get to Merida, definitely make a trip to Uxmal. These are very beautiful ruins and less crowded than Chichen Itza. Also, Tulum makes a good stop after returning from Coba.

Tothetop Apr 25th, 2000 09:53 AM

Can anyone else help poor Wylie?

kathy Apr 25th, 2000 11:52 AM

If you stay in Merida, I would recommend the El Castellano Hotel. It is modern, clean and comfortable. You can check them out at www.elcastellano.com <BR> <BR>We were there a few weeks ago and really enjoyed our stay. Be sure to visit the marketplace. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip!!

don Apr 25th, 2000 04:52 PM

Wylie- first class bus for Chichen-Itza leaves PDC bus terminal at 730 am. Bus line is Riveria and costs 120 pesos each way. Bus to Coba is at 9am, 10 and 12 noon. Buses to Tulum leave constantly from 530am til midnight, plus collectivos run back and forth. I copied this from schedule board at PDC bus station on 4/19/00. Weather will be bearable, at least in PDC, but expect some raindays (hurricane season)and the temp gets much hotter as you move inland. Last week, it was ten degrees hotter in pdc than in Merida during the day. I suspect that Chichen Itza was even hotter. Email if you have any other questions. ps- for great transport service to/from pdc/cancun airport- email Javier at [email protected] fifty usd each way for two passengers. driver is waiting at gate w/ new surburban- worth the extra money

Christie Apr 26th, 2000 06:07 AM

Keep in mind that September and October are in the height of hurricane season for the Caribbean, and it is not uncommon at all for hurricanes to come a little west and hit Mexico, too.