Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   HELP! I get married in May 2011 & I cant decide on a honeymoon destination (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/help-i-get-married-in-may-2011-and-i-cant-decide-on-a-honeymoon-destination-856484/)

two1woman Aug 26th, 2010 06:19 AM

HELP! I get married in May 2011 & I cant decide on a honeymoon destination

I need help! I get married in May 2011 & I cant decide on a honeymoon destination. We've been contemplating between Mexico vs Jamaica, however we just can't decide. The prices for Mexico seem to be much less than Jamaica, and cost is definitely an important factor for us. We prefer to stay at an AI {All-Inclusive} resort and we would like a nicely sized room w/ all the honeymooner amenities included. I know a lot of hotels have jacuzzi's or hottubs in them, but I really also want a shower stall too. I LOVE those fancy all-glass shower stalls. I cannot see taking a bath everyday during our honeymoon. I also prefer to have liquor drinks included w/AI package, and I know usually this comes as part of the deal at Mexican resorts. We also do not want to stay at a place with lots of children. Since it is our honeymoon we prefer to stay in a place that's for couples only, or adults only. Is there really a difference? If so, what is it? And lastly, we want to be able to stay at a place that has beautiful beaches, but also offer many fun & inexpensive activities + attractions to tour. Please, any advice??????

KVR Aug 26th, 2010 06:38 AM

Mexico will have the lux resorts that you are looking for at a very good price espcially in May when the low season just starts. Look at: Secret's Maroma or Iberostar Grand Parasio. Both sit on a very nice beach. If it was me, my choice would be the El Dorado Maroma. They have everything you asked for and sits on the best beach. The swim-up rooms have out door showers as well as in door.

Couples only mean just that couples. Adults only means adults single, together or married usually 16 and older. The resorts I listed are couples only.

If Jamaica interests you look at Couples Negril, Couples Ocho Rios or Sunset at the Palms in Negril. Though the latter is across the street from the beach. There is a Iberostar and a Secrets Resort in Montego Bay also. Jamaica resorts tend to be a little higher in price and not a lux as Mexico. In my opinion, the beaches in Mexico are a little better, but I'm sure that's up for debate by died hard Jamaica fans. The is a old Sandals resort in Ocho Rios that closed and has reopened as Jewell Dunns River and should be very nice. I don't remember any of those resorts I listed for Jamaica having glass shower stalls.

Liquor drinks are included in all AI plans, it just depends if you want house liquor or named brand. The more expensive lux resorts offer name brand while the more budget friendly offers house.

Mexico and Jamaica has lots of things to see and do off property. Mexico has Mayan ruins, centoes, caves and eco parks just to name a few while Jamaica has waterfalls and moutains.

We returning for out 10th trip to Mexico in December. We've been to Negril once, but have Ocho Rios on our list for a future trip.

suze Aug 26th, 2010 08:16 AM

If you go to Jamaica I highly recommend Negril (been 3x). I didn't stay all-inclusive there but just got back last month. It's a great place. I did find it more expensive than Mexico. The i7-mile beach there is gorgeous, or there's more rustic places to stay up "on the Cliffs". There's not much of a town there, but there's lots of activities offered like tours around the island, or glass bottom boats, etc.

For Mexico I'll recommend Puerto Vallarta (been 19x). Again not an expert on AI but you can look at Villa Premiere (adults only), Buenaventura or Hotel Playa Los Arcos. VP is more expensive and nicer, Buenaventure and PLA nice mid-range hotels. All are walking distance to the city and there is tons to see and do for free or reasonably priced. I don't think any of these has the fancy bathroom you are looking for though. The beaches are just OK, somewhat rough and rugged. I love them but the are not 'white sand turquoise water' like you'll find in the Caribbean, since it's the Pacific ocean.

Another recommendation, where I have not been, but I think has the widest assortments of all-inclusives in all price ranges is over on the "Mayan Riviera", the Caribbean coast of Mexico. Between Cancun, Playa del Carmen and on down the coast. This area offers ruins and many outdoor activities. The beaches are good because they are Caribbean quality.

suze Aug 26th, 2010 08:19 AM

One other area you might look at is Los Cabos (the town of San Jose del Cabo, the tourist 'corridor', and the town of Cabo San Lucas) on the Baja peninsula. There are quite a few All-Inclusives, not so much in the towns but out along that corridor. From luxury to mid-range. Baja is a desert peninsula, with Cabo at the tip, so dry, rugged, cactus, arid.

Jamaica is VERY jungly and lush. Incredible overgrown green huge plants wild vegetation. PV is quite tropical and sits on a large bay with mountains surrounding in the background.

MYSTREYLADY Aug 26th, 2010 12:50 PM

Mexico will have everything that you are looking for. Check into the secrets resorts they are great. The maroma is very popular for honeymooners they also have the capri. Another resort to look into is the excellence in cancun mexico. They are all inclusive and adults only. We have stayed at all three and loved them. Good luck.

missjcole Aug 27th, 2010 06:53 AM

If you can afford it, do not do Mexico! I've been to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo San Lucas. Stayed in AIs in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. Although Jamaica is a little more expensive, the experience is so much better.

I would recommend the Couples Resorts chain in Jamaica. They are exclusive to Jamaica, and there are 4 different resorts. We have been to Couples Negril and Couples Swept Away, I would recommend either of those. They are couples only, and they are very romantic. They cater to romance, and you will definitely see other honeymooning couples there. They have awesome mini-bars in the room, complimentary in-room breakfast, complimentary watersports, and many other amentities. Check out their website: http://couples.com/. It gives a great feel for their resorts, you'll fall in love with the photos, and they have great specials.

And one more thing: the beaches in Negril, Jamaica, blow away any beach in Mexico any day of the week! Feel free to contact me, I could go on about how much better Jamaica is all day long.

RAC Aug 27th, 2010 11:08 AM

We strongly prefer the Yucatan area of Mexico to Jamaica. Better infrastructure, better adventure activities, more cultural relevance (tons of Mayan sites to visit). If you stay in Cancun I would actually recommend against the all-inclusive thing--lots of great restaurants in Cancun to try.

KVR Aug 27th, 2010 01:10 PM

It's amazing how people have different opinions of Mexico and Jamaica.

The Playa del Carmen/Riveria Maya of Mexico is less expensive than Jamaica and their resorts are more lux with what you stated you are looking for. Couples in Jamaica are nice, but Secrets, Iberostar and El Dorado are nicer with more room amenities.

Maroma Beach in the Riveria Maya as well as Tulum and Akumel are much nicer than Negril. Here's our pics. Make your own decision:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn

The Western part of Mexico, ie; Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas, their beaches are not as nice nor their water as clear as Caribbean Mexico.

TC Aug 30th, 2010 08:41 AM

Maya Riveria -- beautiful and you won't be hustled every time you step outside the walls of your resort to buy drugs.

Jamaica...not so much. I got so tired of being accosted every three steps to buy "something".....and screamed at for being a stingey American if I politely declined.

No comparison in my opinion.

suze Aug 30th, 2010 09:13 AM

Wow, nothing like that happened to me in Jamaica last month. That's unfortunate, TC.

Regardless I do agree the Mayan Riviera is a good suggestion because it offers the widest selection of the type of All Inclusive resorts that this OP seems to be looking for.

RAC Aug 30th, 2010 11:03 AM

True story:

We were looking for ground transport at the Montego Bay airport, and two company reps--a man and a woman--both tried to speak to my wife. After my wife replied to the woman, the man scolded my wife, stating "in Jamaica, if a man and a woman talk to you, you listen to the man" while wagging his finger at her.

That was our first, and last, trip to Jamaica.