Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Help! Going to Puerto Vallarta for Christmas - need info fast!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 12:14 PM
mike

Just wondering if anyone has any information on the Vellas Vallarta Resort and some suggestions on where to eat for a reasonable price and things to do while we are there. We enjoy snorkelling, is there someplace that is a good place to do this near P.V.? <BR>Can you snorkel right off the beach, how is the beach, and what about the temperature of the air and water this time of year? Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 06:29 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Don't know about your hotel, but don't worry - there's LOTS of wonderful inexpensive places to eat down there. The food is great! Most people go snorkeling further south by Los Arcos, or out by Murrietas Isle (think I spelled that wrong) and you'l find lots of info about snorkeling down there too. Weather and temp should be pleasant (water may be chilly)/ It will be crowded since not only do lots of Americans go down this time of year, but it's a big holiday for the locals too. You'll have a great time.

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 11:25 PM
Pancho

Unfortunately snorkeling is very poor in Puerto Vallarta. It is true that some do it around Los Arcos. I have done it myself and it is really very lame. The water is murky and the sea life is very limited and not interesting at all.

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 06:03 AM
kristi

Hi Mike. The snorkeling wasn't anything spectacular in PV and the water was chilly. We tried it from the Marietas Islands on a day cruise. We did see some huge rays during the boat ride as well as some dolphins. It should be whale watching season now, maybe that might be worth the trip. <BR> <BR>We were there Dec 9-12. The air temperature was nice, shorts during the day, shorts or long pants at night. The breeze from the ocean was cool so I was glad I brought a sweatshirt out on the boat ride. <BR> <BR>We did enjoy the horseback riding. We went with Rancho de Charro (sp?). <BR> <BR>We found a good stretch of restaurants in old town on Basilio Badillo. They were inexpensive and the food was good. The restaurants on the boardwalk seemed more expensive and more americanized. We liked Cafe de Olla for Mexican, Freddy Toucan's for breakfast and Tapas (for Spanish tapas). There was a festival while we were there so we ate at that instead of restaurants but there were several we would have liked to try on Basilio Badillo. <BR> <BR>General tip on PV-carry small bills, either US or pesos (don't know about other currency). No one seemed to have change there, most couldn't change a $20USD or 200 peso bill. Lots of people trying to sell time shares, don't waste your time. Always ask for your taxi fare in advance. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 12:58 PM
Alisa

Just got back from PV on Sunday. About the weather. Never rained once. Warm during the day. Low 80's. But cooler at night mid 60's. The water was cold, but you can go in. Enjoy every minute there.

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 07:57 AM
JR in PV

I concur with Kristi. If you want more info., rather than write it all here, I would direct you to my site on PV at <BR>http://www.vallarta-info.com <BR>hasta, <BR>JR

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 11:31 AM
dave

Stayed at the Vellas Vallarta March 99. It is a veryniceresort in the marina area. Ithink itis listedinthe tour books as a 4 or 5 star. Very friendly staff, beautiful pools, bla,bla,bla... My friend works for a travel incentive company and they book all of their corporate tours to PV at the Vellas. NO complaints from the extreme type A sales types that always have something to complain about... <BR>While in PV I took a tour to the Mariatas (SP?)island on Timon Tours...I went for free but I think all the paying customers had figured it wasworth their money. The best part was on the way back from snorkeling (at a bird sanctuary so you figure what was floating in the water)we stopped at a secluded little beach that looked more like something in teh carribean than the normally murky water and not so niceish beaches closer to PV. <BR> <BR>I recommend the Vellas. <BR> <BR>Dave