Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

help from someone who has stayed in many all inclusive resorts in Mexico

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 04:31 PM
susan Eagleson

Looking to book a trip in next few days in Mexico. Two adults and two teenagers. Teens want good beaches and other teens and disco. Son would like to try surfing. Husband and I want good food and nice rooms. We are looking at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, Bahia Principe Tulum Resort. Have not looked at anything in Puerto Vallarta, maybe we should. Do not want to worry about getting sick. Have to book trip on Monday if anyone can help.
susan getting anxious

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Jan

I have been to Cancun twice. The first was my 20th anniversary. We stayed at the Aventura Palace. We loved it. The second time we stayed at the Cancun Palace with our two girls (12and 18) We all loved it. I am leaving next week and we are staying at the Moon Palace. I obviously am well pleased with the Palace resorts. I know the Beach and Cancun Palace are nearer to the action. The staff we encountered were so very helpful. It made everything great. Have a good trip.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Debbie

After I post this I will be accused of working for the RIU resorts but trust me, I'm a boring insurance underwriter working for a company in Toronto Canada.
We've stayed at 3 all inclusive resorts in Mexico on the Caribbean side. Once at the Allegro in Cozumel, once at Club Cozumel Caribe in Cozumel and twice at the RIU Yucatan on the Mayan Riveria (Playa del Carmen). We leave tomorrow for Iberostar Paraiso and Iberostar Cozumel (one week at each).
On this side of Mexico you won't get the surfing but there is great beaches and lots of other watersports available.
Barcelo & Bahia are a bit isolated in that they are about 1/2 or more further south than Playa del Carmen and so your sons will be restricted to just the disco on the resort.
You might consider any of the ai's in the Playa del Carmen area as you will get the good food and good rooms you are looking for (no you won't get sick as all the resorts provide plenty of bottled water - use it to brush your teeth if you want to be ultra safe).
If you choose either the RIU Playacar, Tequila or Yucatan your sons will have access to the discos at the other RIU hotels plus more teens by having access to the other resorts. Iberostar Toucan or Quetzal would be another excellent choice.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Nikki

Susan,

I totally agree with the 2nd post but since you have children you won't be able to do the Aventura Palace, unless everyone is over 18. I would do the Moon Palace because this is a very beautiful resort, lots of restaurants to choose from, the pools are just amazing, and you are only a 20 minute ride from the hotel zone where all shopping and clubs are. The Moon Palace has a disco right inside the resort so you don't have to worry about your kids going out at night.
The rooms are great too they are all ocean view, they have a hot tub that seats 2, and a balcony with a hammock, they also have a free stocked mini bar with soda, water, and beer that they fill every other day. This was a great resort we are going back in 3 weeks it will be our 4th trip!

www.get-me.to/cancun

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Joyce

Barcelo Mayan, Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan or Iberostar Paraiso or Gala Resort are excellent choices. Being closer to Playa del Carmen, Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan or Gala might appeal to you as it is just a 20 minute walk or 5 minute taxi ride to town.