Help Choosing Hotel in Riviera Maya

Aug 9th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Help Choosing Hotel in Riviera Maya

We are planning a family vacation (no little ones) in Feb and I am driving everyone crazy trying to find a resort! We want an AI right on the beach where we don't have to walk 3 blocks to get to room. The beach is super important - calm clear waters, and a lot of room (don't want crowds). Not looking for a hotel that attracts the party crown and we won't be going out to the bars at night so not important.
It is so hard to tell just how nice the beaches actually are from the pics. Your help will be much appreciated! Oh, our max budget is $1300. per person for air and hotel - 5 nights from Milwaukee. Thanks!
Aug 10th, 2015, 10:39 AM

There are many AIs right on the beach in that area, but with any larger hotel/AI, there may be quite a few people there, of course, as they sort of reserve the area right in front of them with all those palapas/umbrellas or whatever, and it won't be isolated. February is apopular time, also.

For packages, check Apple Vacations, they have some very good deals and can get nonstop flights from Milwaukee to Cancun on Aeromexico.

I don't really think your budget is very feasible for what you want, however. I think you might need to spend at least $1500-$200 per person for that (eg, Dreams Tulum). YOu can get something budget for $1300.

be aware that water quality is not within the control of the hotel always. Right now there is a lot of seaweed along that coast.
Aug 10th, 2015, 10:44 AM

There's been a huge seaweed problem lately in that area. You might want to research that specifically since a nice beach is important to you.
Aug 10th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advise. Just don't want to have to wear water shoes at the beach. Also, want to be able to walk away from the crowds on the beach. Can't tell if beaches are roped off and you must stay in front of your hotel or not. Really like the Caymens - you could walk anywhere on the beach and get lost if you wanted. Looking at the Marina El Cid - any thoughts?
Aug 11th, 2015, 05:35 AM

Since you don't have little ones with you an adults only AI would be nice. The Catalonia Royal Tulum is a smaller adults only AI on a GORGEOUS beach. It tends to price out lower than most other adults only resorts. It is a quiet resort with not much night life.
Aug 11th, 2015, 12:19 PM

suze is right about the beaches in the Riviera Maya, has been a huge problem for almost a year now, with the exception of Isla Mujeres and west side of Cozumel. Who knows what it will like next February.
Marina El Cid is not AO. Schmerl's suggestion of CRT is good, I kind of have that one on my radar if I stay AI next year, beautiful beach, we visited a nearby beach club (La Playa) on Xpu-Ha beach last year, just beautiful.
Or maybe look at ABR (Akumal Beach Resort) recently remodeled and expanded this past year and renamed ABBWR, it is not AO, but not a lot of noisy kids, been getting good reviews mostly since they reopened.
Aug 11th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your good advice. I will look into those resorts and cross my fingers that the sea grass problem goes away.