Help! Bucerias, Sayulita, or San Pancho

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Chuck

Help! Bucerias, Sayulita, or San Pancho

My family and I are heading to the Pacific Coast in March. We are debating the pros and cons of Bucerias, Sayulita, or San Pancho. Our 15 year old likes to surf, though doesn't need big waves. We also have a 3 year old, so we'd like maybe a swimming area too. I would love the village aspect; PV sounds too touristy for me. My husband is worried about it being TOO remote, as we don't speak great Spanish. (yes - we are ugly Americans) Before I get ttt'd, please know I have done a LOT of research, but would love to hear from someone who has been in the area - particularily with children. I am searching for houses, if you know of anything fantastic with plenty to do.
Gracias!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:32 AM
susan

There is a recent good post on exactly this subject on Lonely Planet's BB called Thorn Tree on the Mexico branch (traveling with children in Sayulita and San Pancho). www.lonelyplanet.com then onto Thorn Tree.

Also don't write off Puerto Vallarta so fast as "too touristy". If you stay in El Centro (downtown) or beyond the river on the "southside" it is an authentic Mexican neighborhood with a good mix of locals and tourists (Nuevo Vallarta, The Marina, and the Hotel Zone are areas you want to avoid!) Spanish is not necessary here.

I really can't answer your question because I am a *big* fan of PV and have never ventured north except for day trips to the beach at Punta Mita ;-)

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Bobbi

Chuck
On our last trip to PV we stayed a week in Bucerias and did a day trip to Sayulita. We loved Bucerias as it was close enough to PV to see the sights, but Bucerias itself is a lovely little Mexican town. It really felt the best of both worlds! There are plenty of good restaurants, shopping, a great beach and lots of good accomodation. Whether you want a place on the beach or in town, you'll have lots to choose from . It's also close to Destilarderes beach (perfect for little ones!)which we absolutely love!
However you can't surf in Bucerias (at least that I am aware) and for that I hear Sayulita would be best. It is also a lovely small town with good places to stay and eat. However it is more isolated and depending on what you want out of your vacation could be either too quiet or just perfect. www.mytravelboard.com web site forum has people on it who have a great deal of knowledge on Sayulita and a recent trip report (see Jerry). A combination of both places would be ideal if you had two weeks but if you are going for one week I'd choose one or the other. Again we loved Bucerias but I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you have any other questions...just ask!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:30 AM
bobbi

ps a little knowledge of spanish is great if you have it, but you can certainly manage without it. However its never to late to learn...so take a dictionary and get in a little practice. The locals will be happy to help you!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Chuck

THanks everyone for your reply. Good to know I don't need to cross PV off my list as many of the houses I looked at are taken. I will practice my rudimentary high school Spanish. It will be great for the kids to try too.