Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Help! Belize or Costa Rica (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/help-belize-or-costa-rica-1016176/)

cbnabeteuer Jun 4th, 2014 02:56 AM

Help! Belize or Costa Rica

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. My family would like to take a vacation together to either Costa Rica or Belize. My mother would like to stay at an all inclusive where we will not have to worry about cooking or finding restaurants and so that she can lounge at the pool while my husband, brother and I go out and do activities or exploring. We are looking for somewhere that combines both the ability to completely relax and also be active. Does anyone have any insight on this?
I have found that Costa Rica has a few all inclusive (more similar to what can be found in DR or Mexico) but I have not been able to find any in Belize.

Please help!

Thanks!

JeanH Jun 4th, 2014 03:29 AM

Very few, if any, all incusives in Belize. There are some properties that offer meal plans, few include alcohol. Many of those are isolated properties, eating on site is really the only practical thing to do.

I'd base my decision on where to travel based on what things I wanted to see and do, rather than hotel type.

Costa Rica has stunning scenery. Lots of relatively easy wildlife sightings. Volcanoes. Surfing. Multiple eco-systems to visit in a fairly small amount of space.

Belize has the second largest barrier reef. World class diving and snorkeling. Mayan sites, caves to explore. It does have jungle, and some pretty scenery, though perhaps not as spectacular as Costa Rica's. English speaking. Smaller, so, easier to get around.

cbnabeteuer Jun 4th, 2014 04:57 AM

Thank you for your input. I appreciate your advice.

volcanogirl Jun 4th, 2014 06:09 AM

I agree with Jean. I'd look for a place that has on site eating and a pool, but not strictly all inclusive. You're going to really limit yourself if you have that restriction. Those types of places are more common in Mexico. We love Tulemar Bungalows in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica and Victoria House on Ambergris, Belize if you want to take a look at them. The Guanacaste area of CR does have a few all inclusives, but we haven't stayed in them.

RAC Jun 4th, 2014 07:29 AM

AI is a bad option in CR, even worse in Belize. If AI is a deal-breaker, the Maya Riviera up the coast fron Belize makes a lot more sense than CR or Belize.

Lots of places that provide full service and have on-site dining in CR and Belize, I would recommend you choose a country, then a region, then look at hotel options.

Also, have you looked at Panama? Gamboa Rainforest Resort about 40 minutes outside Panama City might be perfect for you.

moneymoo Jun 4th, 2014 11:06 AM

As someone who owned a house in Costa Rica from 1999-2006 and have been to all the places you mentioned, Costa Rica wins hands down. There are AI's up north in Guanacaste but they have a continuing waste problem and you don't know from one minute to the next if it will smell like it. Besides, I don't think there is anything beautiful about Northern Costa Rica at all. I lived in Matapalo but it's hard to get to. Why not take the ferry over to the Nicoya area to Santa Theresa? My boss stayed at Florablance and loved it - they were a group of 12. What about Barcelo over at Playa Tambor? As far as Belize, Jean's right - I never saw an AI but now that it's booming down Hopkins way there might be something - just didn't think it was a pretty area - stayed on Caye Caulker and ate at the restaurants and they were all fabulous - as far as Panama goes - Gamboa Resort is okay, crowded close to Miraflores to watch the ships through the canal, etc. Lots of tours from there. The only thing good about Panama I found was my dog Queso I brought back! Pura Vida Costa Rica!

moneymoo Jun 4th, 2014 11:08 AM

That would be Florablanca.

http://www.florblanca.com/

ltt Jun 18th, 2014 11:57 AM

sounds like costa rica would definitely make your mom happier and there is lots of "adventure" stuff to keep the rest of you busy.

volcanogirl Jun 18th, 2014 12:08 PM

Not sure what your budget it, but if it doesn't have to be a beach vacation, The Springs Resort and Spa would be a great spot for you guys. The grounds are expansive with lots of hot springs, a gorgeous river, on site activities, and five different restaurants. It's not AI, but it could fit what you're looking for. The Arenal/La Fortuna area has tons of adventure activities - everything from ziplining to white water rafting. We stayed there on a Groupon deal so got it for a good price.

or2nh4me2 Mar 24th, 2015 10:53 AM

Bookmarking