heat and humidity on osa peninsula

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really want to go to Osa in July, but not sure if my husband can handle the heat and humidity with no ac. He is 40 and had a heart attack a couple of years ago and is in ok shape, but not great shape. If we do really adventureous things that he cannot do he usually relaxes at the hotel or at the beach while we are out. Is it really hot there without ac or is manageable with the ocean breeze and fans?
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:11 AM

It's hot and humid. I was OK at night with the fans but I would have been much happier if I had A/C. We were at Bosque del Cabo the first week of March and stayed in the garden area. The ocean view cabinas, etc. were cooler. I have a difficult time without A/C but I managed fine. Will definitely go back.

Your husband does not have to do anything too strenuous and will still be able to see plenty of wildlife. Early morning was the best time for viewing and hiking and that is when it's cooler.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! It sounds like he should be ok. I can't wait to go. It sounds amazing!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:12 PM

We have been there in July and March. March is hotter simply because there is less rain and the rain cools things down a bit, especially at night for sleeping. Even so, we did fine. My husband thought it was okay and he is very sensitive to "no AC". The little fans they provide do help a bit, and you can generally catch a good breeze at night.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

shillmac
Great! Where do you usually stay at? Any suggestions?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Most people generally get out and do their hiking in the morning. Best time for wildlife viewing anyway. The pool is a great way to cool off in the afternoon although we have always been comfortable no matter what time of year by the cabinas. There is usually a pretty nice breeze and those hammocks are really comfy. We are always comfortable at night with just a little help from the tiny fans but we like to sleep with the doors open so we do get the breeze. Haven't had any visitors in the night yet and we have been going to Bosque for several years.

The garden area is a different story. there is much less air movement because you are surrounded by the forest. When we stayed there we closed our doors. Too many animal noises that I couldn't identify so my comfort level in enjoying the great outdoors was a little lower.

I posted some pictures recently. (do a search for Here and There Pics) There are quite a few of Bosque so you can see how pretty the grounds are. It is a wonderful place for people of all activity levels. There are tough trails and there are moderate ones and for those who really take their vacation time seriously you can just sit by the cabinas and watch nature go by.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suzie2! I have been looking at Bosque, it looks amazing. Does it have as much wildlife as Corcovado National Park?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 05:28 PM

MORE!!!!!!!

For some reason Cabo Matapalo is a very unique area and does attract a lot of wildlife. BdC has motion cameras and they have even captured pictures of wild cats on their property.

I have been numerous times and have always seen all 4 species of monkeys that exist in CR. The birds just up by the cabins can be wonderful. I can walk the same path 2 or 3 times in one day and each time it will be different.

There are still other animals in the Park but most people never see them. The tapirs are very shy for one.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 05:34 PM

LOL--most Fodorite's are probably sick to death of my impression of El Sol, one of the standard cabinas with, I'll swear!, the best outdoor shower/view of the lot!

We also liked Lapa (deluxe) last month, but I was a little disappointed in the shower, as there was no view--just the knowledge that we were not inside.

There are no bad cabinas, though. You can plan on enjoying any one of them immensely! Did I mention that I will be there in July as well--perhaps our paths will cross!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. All of your information is very helpful and I can't wait to go. It sounds like you guys really love this place and I made a good decidion to go here. Maybe I will see you there. Thanks!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Oops! Maybe I should learn to check my spelling before I post. Sorry, I'm new to this. I'm just so exicited about going to CR. Once again thanks for all of your help.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Don't apologize, we all do it. I used to be able to type 85 words a minute with no errors but you would never know it now. Fingers are getting old and tired.

I didn't have a heart attack but did have two stents put in a couple of years ago. Bad genes. I still do pretty much what I want and Bosque del Cabo is what I want a lot of the time . I have been able to hike all of their trails several times since. Just takes me a little longer these days.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Suzie2
Thanks for telling me about your stents, that helps put my mind at ease about my husband being ok when we go. He also has two stents. I'm glad that you are doing ok and it sounds like you have traveled a lot. Thanks for all of your input.