Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Have you been to both Granada and Antigua? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/have-you-been-to-both-granada-and-antigua-763640/)

julies Jan 26th, 2009 06:13 AM

Have you been to both Granada and Antigua?

If so, can you please tell me how they compare as far as being touristy and/or gringoized? As some of you know I am looking for a Spanish school for a week. In some ways Antigua would definitely fit the bill, but I have to weigh that against how much the town is devoted to tourism, English-speakers and ex-pats.

We were in Nicaragua earlier this month (maybe next week I'll get a trip report together) and did find Granada a bit touristy and overrun with English speakers in some places. That's why I am wonering about Antigua and would like to know how they compare. In Nicaragua we spent a day in Leon and did like it, so I am wondering if Xela is comparable. So, if you've been to both of these cities too, I'd appreciate a comparison. Thanks in advance.

qwovadis Jan 26th, 2009 07:49 AM

Been to both

Antigua is more over run

than Granada...

www.xelapages.com Xela nice choice

more off the beaten path...

Jeff_Costa_Rica Jan 26th, 2009 12:19 PM

What you get out of a Spanish immersion course depends mostly on you. If you spend all your time out of class hanging out with fellow English speakers and speaking English, you'll come away with very little Spanish. Get out there. Talk to local people. Don't be shy. You can do that in any of the places mentioned, even in Antigua. It takes willpower, but it's entirely up to you.

That said, I think Granada is more low key than Antigua and sees fewer foreigners (tourists and students). Quetzaltenango, Guatemala (which eveybody calls "Xela") is more low key still, and a lot of students go there specifically because it's not as overrun with tourists as Antigua.

nonstop Jan 26th, 2009 01:32 PM

Jeff: I agree completely with the comparison. BTW do you know any good schools in Xela?

While I like Antigua, there is a reason they are starting to call it "gringotenango"

Nicaragua is a little more on the "untamed" side.

julies Jan 26th, 2009 08:11 PM

Thanks. I was suspecting that Antigua is more visited and touristy than Granada. Now I just have to think. I do agree with Jeff though that the experience is what one makes of it, and I could just stay away from the more touristy English-speaking places for my week.

nonstop--

I haven't been but have been reading tons of info about Spanish schools. These two in Xela sound quite good and have gotten good ratings.

La Democracia
ICA--Escuela de Espanol

Jeff_Costa_Rica Jan 27th, 2009 04:14 AM

Antigua is a beautiful place. I wouldn't reject it out of hand over this issue. Just know that this is a possible pitfall and do your best not to fall into it. :)

I've heard good things about those two places in Quetzaltenango/Xela that you mentioned, julies.

Nonstop, isn't "Gringotenango" what everybody calls Panajachel? I do think the name could apply to Antigua as well.

nonstop Jan 27th, 2009 05:27 AM

thanks for the school names, I will check them out.

Jeff-you may be right about Pana. I had read an article in a magazine that referred to Antigua as "G.T" so thus my reference.

Personally, I liked to be "forced" to speak Spanish without fallback options in English. It's like the first cigarette after you have tried to quit...

For me.....I would just give it up and go to Quito.