Has anyone visited PDC or Cancun lately?

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 07:44 PM
Hitomi

Has anyone visited PDC or Cancun lately?

My husband and I plan to visit Playa del Carmen in November and are wondering the impact of Sept. 11 in the area.

I read an article that says that beaches are deserted with only a few locals there and that hotels like Hilton are offering $50 a night where normally charge $100-150.

We wish to take a day tour to Chichen Itiza. Are bus tours there being offered every day? Any changes? Is there anything we should be concerned?

If anyone visited Playa in the last several weeks, please let me know what it is like nowadays or if there are any changes.

Thank you.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Jean Valjean

I was there a couple of weeks ago.

I read in the paper that occupancy was around 45-50%, when it usually is 60% during this season.

As far as I could tell, it is business as usual. Most tours are working as usual.

The only visible difference is that the bouncers at Daddy-O are now peddling for people on the streets instead of acting like a$$es and giving people a hard time to get in.

Oh, and restaurants are closing pretty early (by 11)

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Hitomi

Thank you, Jean. That's what I wanted to hear.

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 06:23 PM
Laura

There were 32 of us that stayed in PDC at the Riu Palace for a week in October. It was awesome. Everything seemed "business as usual" to us. There were plenty of poeple there even though it was supposed to be their low season. Our flights to and from were fine. Just alot more security. And that's not a bad thing. We had a great time in PDC.
The beach was paradise. But, be forewarned....there is no night life on Saturday night excpet for Senior Frogs and they only had the dj. No band. Friday night however was the party night in town.
Have a great time!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Parrot Mom

Just came back..hotel was at 60% occupancy.. for more info go to../www.cancunandrivieramaya.com/vacation/cancun.cgi?

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Sue

We just got back and everything was fine. We were told our hotel was at 85% capacity. Chichen Itza was great. There were tours offered daily Tulum was also good.